Mechwarrior 2 (Dos version) on XP

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
marco00
I.S. Baby

Mechwarrior 2 (Dos version) on XP

Post by marco00 »

I loaded mechwarrior 2 (sidewinder 3D Pro edition) then downloaded the patcher but could not get the resolution patch to execute. When I answered Y to execute patch dos gave a message that patch was not run on my request.

The game trailer runs OK and I am able to sign in and enter the mech lab however when I launch the mission I have a black screen.Mission sound is running OK just no visual...

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue??
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mechwarrior 2 (Dos version) on XP

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well first off, the resolution patcher does not work on SP3 I believe. I could be wrong though, so if you are on SP3 you cannot use 1024 resolution without dosbox.
Second you must type 'yes' exactly as it is on the screen; it will not accept just typing 'y' or 'Y'.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
marco00
I.S. Baby

Post by marco00 »

OK I executed command as yes.
This time patch tried to run however I got the following message in DOS;

Could not determine version of file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vga.sys. asked to send the contents of this directory to shradecky@nomissoft.com for analysis. e-mail bounced...

I am running windows XP yes it is SP3
Pentium 4 CPU 3GHZ and 1 GB RAM
Graphic Card is GEForce 7600 GT 256MP AGP 8X

Is DOSBox my answer?? Can anyone suggest a solution?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Are you referring to the resolution patch in this thread or another method? I tried to patch MW2 DOS to use other resolutions, but it did not work for resolutions higher than 1024x768.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

@sky I am pretty sure he is talking about the resolution fix that was included in the patch I made, could be wrong tho.
Anywho, yes since you are on SP3 your only choice atm is to use dosbox.
Unless wait... sky are you saying your method works without that resolution fix for the monitor? Please clarify...
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

My patch requires a working install, it only allows you to select resolutions lower than 1024x768. If you have a display that supports 800x600, that may still help. Otherwise, simply ignore my post.
marco00
I.S. Baby

Post by marco00 »

Yes I am referring to the resolution patcher that is included in the Sir MMPD Radick patch.. ie fixed_patch 1. Dear Skyfaller yep I can do 600X800 will try your method.
marco00
I.S. Baby

Post by marco00 »

@Sky Sorry got ahead of myself. where do I get your patch?
marco00
I.S. Baby

Post by marco00 »

Dear Sir MMPD.. Installation guide for MW2 in Dosbox u say... Create a directory that you would like for the root of DOSBOX. I would suggest C:\DOSBOX_GAMES or something like that.
How do I create it?? is it in DOS and what are the commands??
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Just create it in windows like normal.
Use "My Computer". :)