GBL Battlepack question

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Raven
I.S. Baby

GBL Battlepack question

Post by Raven »

I just bought GBL off half.com. Turns out, it was the battlepack edition - I was so disappointed to learn that it was essentially the same as titanium edition but 8-bit. Problem is, they never list the actual edition when you buy those things. I guess I should have probably questioned, but I assumed, as a"brand new" game, it wouldn't be from a bundled package - it was new but it was removed from the bundle (everyone has their sales gimmicks I guess).

The thing that bothers me most is the missing music tracks. How many tracks are we talking about? Is there a straight Windows 95 copy (non DOS or optional DOS) of GBL that has full HTAL art and music tracks?

Oh, btw, music doesn't seem randomized for each mission, like titanium edition, but I could be wrong - I haven't had enough time to play it.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: GBL Battlepack question

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yah that is the main problem with the half.com side of ebay.. Always buy from the main ebay site because it has pictures and that gives you a big clue which one you are trying to purchase.. what you are describing has happend to me as well in the past it is frusterating.

As for music tracks, well GBL Battlepack has 17 tracks vs DOS's 20. To be fair GBL DOS has 1 track for the intro.. so 19. It is missing 2 tracks unfortuneatly.

At any rate as for your question in regards to 95 GBL.. yes there is a 95 vanilla GBL.
Be careful though, just because it is vanilla does not mean it is good. All of the 95 versions are unstable in comparison to DOS.
I really would suggest to go for DOS instead.

The 95 GBL is relatively rare, I had looked for it for two years before it showed up on ebay a few weeks ago.
I did see another one floating around though; unfortunately, it seems that it has already been scooped up.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I don't always get from ebay what I wanted to have or what is described in the text or pictures because traders sometimes post pics or copy text from other auctions. Even if you ask the traders, they are often not knowledgeable about the various editions of MechWarrior, but are keen to sell and will describe their articles in the best possible light.

There have been two occasions where I received another article than advertised:
- Received 3DFX edition instead of Pentium Edition
- Received Pentium Edition instead of mixed DOS/Win95 version

So far, I've been lucky that I didn't possess any of those already. Therefore, ask thouroughly before buying anything. MMPD wrote this article to aid you and the traders. If anything goes wrong, ask on the forum if anybody is willing to trade.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Good point. I have bought many times on ebay.. what you describe has happened maybe 2 out of 10 times to me.. but it does happen... do what skyfaller said and always ask before bidding. :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.