MW2 Heat bug

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Raven
I.S. Baby

MW2 Heat bug

Post by Raven »

In Mechwarrior 2: Pentium Edition, and in Titanium Editions of Mech 2, GBL and Mercs, heat does not effect me even when turned on. When it gets into the red, if I overide then keep firing, I'll never blow up, and it'll get so high it won't come down. I also tried this with ammunition laden Mechs and no explosions. Once, on the second or third Jade Falcon mission, heat somehow kicked in, I blew up immediately after winning the mission: mission was still a success.

I'm using MW2HookSetup.exe

Windows XP Home SP2
Core2Duo 4.2GHz
8800 GTS 640MB
1GB DDR RAM

I hear, from searching this forum, this is a frequent problem with multi-cores.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW2 Heat bug

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

it is more like a frequent problem with any new computer multi core or not.
You can partially fix it by using cpugrab and slaving both mech2 and cpugrab to the same core.
Not fool proof but it helps some.

Either way just do not go over! It is not that hard :)

Also, the DOS versions may work better in this respect, most of the time heat works properly in these when in DOSBOX.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Raven
I.S. Baby

Post by Raven »

Nice forum, btw.
Sir MMPD Radick wrote:it is more like a frequent problem with any new computer multi core or not.
You can partially fix it by using cpugrab and slaving both mech2 and cpugrab to the same core.
Not fool proof but it helps some.

Either way just do not go over! It is not that hard :)

Also, the DOS versions may work better in this respect, most of the time heat works properly in these when in DOSBOX.
By partially fix, you mean that I still get to generate a great deal of heat before exploding or that I explode randomly for going over my limit :lol: ?

I'm thinking of DOS mode as I get the time to fix it up. (Need to install a game port for the old Sidewinder joystick. Tried using DOSBOX with Daggerfall before and it was annoyingly difficult to set up - I guess DOS is before my time).
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

well, if you run it in dos directly or through windows it will still have the same problem.. dosbox works the best because it creates more lag since it is emulation.
DOSBOX is quite easy to setup if you follow our FAQ.

Also if you need help setting it up, I would be willing to help if you come on our IRC chat sometime.

Edit:
I mean it may be picky or it may not work at all.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Raven
I.S. Baby

Post by Raven »

CPUGrabber didn't work at all. I set affinity for both Mech 2 and CPU Grabber to CPU1. The slider in CPUGrabber was around 20% and then I tried it with 50% and then 70%. Ironically, it overheated my processor, causing my computer to shut down. I had to pull off the heat sink and better apply thermal paste - it was too thin on one side and that side was singed.

It's shut down before on me, albeit rarely, and it never did it in Crysis, so I assumed it was the power supply dying. Glad I ran into CPUGrabber when I did, though. Nonetheless, CPUGrabber does not help for Mechwarrior 2 or I was doing it wrongly.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

well did you run it at 70 to start and work up to see if it made a difference? If you started at 100% that is probably why you overheated that program slows ya cpu down alot, never run it at 100%.
It is also said that some people apply one to each core... so basically based on what happend I would say forget that idea.

Sorry you are kinda stuck.
The only alternatives i can think of are:

1. vmware running windows 98, that would in essence make it laggy enough for something to happen assuming cpu grab was run inside starting at 50% or so.
2. Buying an old computer.
3. Chancing mech2 dos. Based on what you said though the problem probably will be there too.
Raven
I.S. Baby

Post by Raven »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote: 2. Buying an old computer.
Wish I could buy my old Aptiva back. That one had an ATI card, and the ATI Rage version of Mech 2 is superior to all that I've seen. Complete music, complete wireframe, extra mech HTAL art (elemental), better looking worlds (less fog), lovely skys, better cockpits, and no silly application of mech textures (as in the D3D Titanium versions). Basically, worth building an old computer if the prices were right. All in wonder cards (I believe that's what it was) on eBay going for >$30 is silly.

Someone should make a wrapper for this, like the Diablo II one: http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/whatis.html
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I dunno ATI Rage is ok, but I liked the 3dfx version better.. especially since there is wrappers for that so it can run on any machine.