Hello from a new member.

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
SomeKid
I.S. Baby

Hello from a new member.

Post by SomeKid »

Hey guys, I discovered this little forum about 5 minutes ago, and you guys rekindled a hope I could play MW2. Once I had upgraded PCs (well, this was multiple upgrades ago) I could not get it to work, and was unable to find a solution. I tried again about a year ago, and while my game would install, I could not get it to load. Maybe you guys can help me, and I can give MW2 a shot again, I always enjoyed it.

I have both MW2 and MW2 Mercenaries, both Titanium. I have GBL, but not titanium. I always enjoyed straight MW2 Clans more than Mercs or GBL, so can anyone help me get it working properly? What must I do to play this again?

I am running on an Intel DX48BT2 motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz processor, 4gigs of DDR3 RAM, NVidia GeForce 8800 GT Vid Card, and Windows XP. (As I look back at that, I can't help but realize how far my PC has come from when I played MW2 on a stock HP that had 133mhz processor, and a whopping 32 mb of ram. I am in my early twenties now and I feel old, hehe).

Anyway, if you can help I would appreciate it, thanks.

Oh, I already checked out the rest of the forum, but did not see an answer to my problem, even checked FAQs. yes, I probably walked right over it. I have been out of the inner workings of PCs for long enough that just building my own is hard. (Yes, this is a newbie asking for help. Try not to knock one of my legs off and make me use jump jets to get around. :mrgreen: )
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Hello from a new member.

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hey, welcome to the site!

Unfortuneatly because you have the titanium version you have to install through vmware(or Microsoft Virtual PC which is free) then copy it over, I do not know of any other way.
As for the non titanium version you mentioned could you please be more specific on which version?

Anywho, my advice is to pick up a copy of all the games as DOS versions off of ebay, as those have the highest chance of running on XP or Vista.

Sorry I cannot be of more help in this first post... :(
If you come on IRC it probably would be much easier to help you.

I do actually have a solution for titanium, but I cannot release it yet; because, my program is only half finished I have not had time as of late to code it.

Ps. I hope you will join us for multiplayer, we have been having some great games as of late!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
SomeKid
I.S. Baby

Post by SomeKid »

Attempting to connect...
SomeKid
I.S. Baby

Post by SomeKid »

Made it in, guess I came at the wrong time, nobody was talking. I will stay logged in I guess.

As an aside, I read about a download version, does it work? I looked for it, but could not find it. I don't have to use the Titanium edition. I cannot recall waht the GBL was. For whatever reason, it was not as fun (to me) as was the Clans. More than any others, I want to play the Clans again.

As far as multiplayer goes, I never could get it to work back when I first played. I always did single player. If we can get me hooked up, you can count me in. Got multiplayer working GREAT for MechWarrior 3 though. But that is the wrong game.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Installing Titanium should work nicely using MechVM:

1. Download MechVM-win32.zip from bjoern-ganster.de/MechVM
2. Unzip MechVM to your temp directory and start it
3. Click "Install" in the top toolbar
4. Insert your MW2 CDROM (the original should work, no crack needed)
5. Type the path where you want to install the game into MechVM
6. Click the button with the CDROM drive letter
7. Wait for it to complete

This might aso work for your GBL CD, but I can't guarantee.
If it doesn't, please post what's written on the CD or on the cover,
and post the system requirements if you can find them.
And please tell us of the outcome.