I really need help!

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
House_Atreides
I.S. Baby

I really need help!

Post by House_Atreides »

I can't get anywhere in getting these games to work. I had been able to get Mechwarrior 2 to work on my old computer, but for some reason after a couple of weeks it refused to work anymore. That was using the video on youtube. I'm running windows xp pro, sp3 32bit. I have mechwarrior 2 windows 95 pentium edition, and mechwarrior 2 mercenaries which says both windows 95 and ms dos on it. I can't even get either one to install, the screen comes up, I click install, it closes. I tried the dosbox thing, made a .img of mercenaries but couldn't figure out how on earth to get dosbox to recognize it.

Please! I want to be able to play these games again!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: I really need help!

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Ok first off, did you read the FAQ for DOSBOX?

In regards to the 95 versions did you try the last method which was not on the video? Because there are three methods to getting the game to run, slugs method patch, kontza, and slugs wrapper. The wrapper is not in the video, because it did not exist at the time of recording.

If the 95 version does not work after that your pretty much stuck, the 95 versions work whenever they want to pretty much.
Usually the only way to get the game to work again as you describe is to reformat XP and reinstall; which is not very appealing.

I hope that is some help, if you get stuck please reply and i will try and explain it in detail.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
House_Atreides
I.S. Baby

Post by House_Atreides »

Thanks, but I am unsure how to do any of it when I cannot even get the game to install :cry:
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Could you please be more specific on what in the DOS version mech2 you do not know how to do from this guide?
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
House_Atreides
I.S. Baby

Post by House_Atreides »

I tried to use the guide for Mech2, wasn't sure if it would work since it just said Windows 95 on the disc. People said that Mercenaries would install the same way, so I figured I'd try that since it said MS-DOS on the disc. I cannot get past step 1, since when I try to run the .exe nothing happens. At all.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

use dosbox then :)
House_Atreides
I.S. Baby

Post by House_Atreides »

I'm so confused :roll:

Using this guide
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=254

I can get Mechwarrior 2 to the point where it says drive D is mounted as C:\mech\MECH.cue

When I try to do it with mercenaries it just says the path is invalid

I have no idea what to do from there. I'm not especially tech savvy, especially with this whole dos thing.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

well, if you come on the irc channel I can help you over the chat, be much easier than on here.
Could also use ultravnc; with that I could just do it all for you while you watch.
First Primordai
I.S. Baby

Post by First Primordai »

Yep, I feel you pain. Not PC savy but more of an user and when things don't work then....

Take home message is, just like you I would live to pump MW2 thro this PC and look at how it handles.

MW3 is cool but when you think about it jumping with a one legged nova is cool.