Testing MW2 95 install

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
do04ir
I.S. Baby

Testing MW2 95 install

Post by do04ir »

My friend gave me his copy of MW2. It's the Pentium version I believe.

At any rate, I decided to do some testing on the what happens to the various types of patches/tweaks. I created 9 different installs. They were the original install, then with the 1.1 patch, then with slugs V3 added onto it.

Then I took those three installs and did the Hex Edit patch onto each mw2snd.cfg and extracted SHELL_VESA_GDI42.rar (HEX).
I then decided to do the HEX patch a little differently; I did not copy over the mw2shell.dll from the SHELL_VESA_GDI42.rar (HEX2)

All were modded with the Compatibility wizard. I then had different icons: 9 originals, and 9 with the MW2Hook.

Here are the results

(original icons)

Code: Select all

Mech2-orig                      black screen flicks.  never starts
Mech2-orig-HEX                  white screen - not responding
Mech2-orig-HEX2                 black screen flicks.  never starts
Mech2-patched                   black screen flicks.  never starts
Mech2-patched-HEX               Crash on Entering Mission / Crash on Exit / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-patched-HEX2              black screen flicks.  never starts
Mech2-patched-slug              Crash on Entering Mission / Crash on Exit / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-patched-slug-HEX          Crash on Entering Mission / Crash on Exit / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-patched-slug-HEX2         Crash on Entering Mission / Crash on Exit / Custom Mechs OK
(MW2Hook icons)

Code: Select all

Mech2-orig                      Entering Mission OK / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-orig-HEX                  white screen - not responding
Mech2-orig-HEX2                 white screen - not responding
Mech2-patched                   Entering Mission OK / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-patched-HEX               Entering Mission OK / Crash on Custom Mechs
Mech2-patched-HEX2              Entering Mission OK / Custom Mechs OK
Mech2-patched-slug              Entering Mission OK / Crash on Custom Mechs
Mech2-patched-slug-HEX          Entering Mission OK / Crash on Custom Mechs
Mech2-patched-slug-HEX2         Entering Mission OK / Crash on Custom Mechs
The three that seem most successful are all MW2Hook versions: Mech2-orig, Mech2-patched, and Mech2-patched-HEX2. Out of those three I have no clue what the difference is beyond what I've listed above. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can let me know which is the better version to use.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Testing MW2 95 install

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hook with the shell dll no modifications necessary via hex.
Just disable the mechlab fix /-mechlab when using the shell dll or you will crash probably.

This method is perfered because it has a jet fix for the most part.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
do04ir
I.S. Baby

Post by do04ir »

Well, when I add /-mechlab to Mech v1.0 , or patched to v1.1 I get

Mech exceeds
Keshik Defined Maximum Tonnage
for mission.

when I try to customize. However, without that I get no crashes. I customized mechs with the settings above and experienced no crashed. (that's not to say I won't get them in the future).

EDIT: My personal guess is I like method Mech2-patched-HEX2 using MW2Hook. This way I have MW2 patched to 1.1, and I have better resolution, and the hook also corrects whatever it corrects.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

yep, as i said everythings sporadic.. what works for one person for some reason or another does not work on another machine.
On my machine if i do it the way you are suggesting i always get the overweight bug.

I am glad you have a method that works for your machine.. many people get frusterated and forget it.

If you ever wish to play multi, you are more than welcome! :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.