MechWarrior 2 - Windows 95 (Pentium/Vanilla/Netmech)

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
pospec4444

MechWarrior 2 - Windows 95 (Pentium/Vanilla/Netmech)

Post by pospec4444 »

I am running Mech 2 (should be v 1.1) for Windows 95.

I used patch from http://www.warp13.co.uk/ (called "old MechWarrior 2 XP patch (v3)" there). The game runs fine, but there is no music (pitty but doesn't matter). The biggest problem is that rockets are exploding on my mech when I fire them...

If I use MW2Hook then the game crashes if I start mission.

Does anybody experienced or solved this problems?

Thank for your answers.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MechWarrior 2 - Windows 95 (Pentium/Vanilla/Netmech)

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

(Moved post to appropriate section)
The music issue, I think largely is an OS issue, I have not gotten the music to run on XP.
Sorry :(

As for MW2Hook, if you have the other patch working I would not bother with the Hook.
The hook is good, but it will create a mechlab issue, and you would have to use part of the old patch to get it fixed anyway.

If you must have music, I would highly suggest MechWarrior 2 DOS, this works properly.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
pospec4444

Exploding rockets solution

Post by pospec4444 »

OK, my solution for rockets: Run instance(s) of CPU Grabber and find the right value(s) for "grabbing". I was experimenting with it and as I grabbed more and more CPU less rockets exploded on my body. Now I use two instances of CPU Grabber (grabbing about 70 (%?)) on my IBM ThinkCentre with 3GHz Duron. Interesting thing is that every mission needs different "grabbing" values to avoid exploding of rockets.

Problem with the music is caused by missing audio cable from my CD-ROM - I can't play any audio CD.

Thanks for your help Sir MMPD Radick!

My friend told me that too fast CPU can cause other "bugs":
1) Jets are consuming "fuel" extremly
2) Overheated Mech doesn't explode after firing another lasers after overriding

Does anybody experienced this problems?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yep, your friend is correct cpugrab and such solves that sometimes.
That is the only solution to slow your machine down. I am sorry i did not mention it in my last post, but i did not see your mention of the rocket problem on the first read, sorry!
It effects jets, heat, missiles exploding and probably a few more things.

Those problems are lessened if you use the dos version in dosbox as the resource requirements are much higher.
or the 95 version in vmware can fix it as well.

btw, even if you had the audio cable i do not think it will make any difference, I have the audio cable on mine plugged in.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I use VDMS/SapuCDEx for the DOS versions, and it works for me:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/lofiversio ... 89037.html
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

yep, for dos that is the best way hands down when you wish to avoid dosbox.