Install MW2 on laptop without CD drive?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
oronymo
I.S. Baby

Install MW2 on laptop without CD drive?

Post by oronymo »

I've successfully installed MW2 on my old PC with a disc drive (loving it!) but would love to also play while on the go on my laptop (MS SurfaceBook). Like any laptop of the last decade, it has no optical drive.

Even though I have the original disc and have ripped it to a .bin/.cue file, MechVM appears to demand that the disc be "in the drive" to validate before installing.

Is there a way around this?

I've tried the "import from image" option but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I also tried searching for an answer and didn't come up with anything (although the search feature on mech2.org is pretty bad).

Thanks!
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Re: Install MW2 on laptop without CD drive?

Post by Havokq3 »

One solution is to copy the entire game directory from your main computer onto the laptop. This will hopefully wok, as the games don't exactly care if the disk is in the drive. :D
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
PEN-Stealth
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by PEN-Stealth »

I'd just buy a usb cd drive off of ebay. I got one for $9.99 and it works fine with it.
oronymo
I.S. Baby

Post by oronymo »

Havokq3 wrote:One solution is to copy the entire game directory from your main computer onto the laptop. This will hopefully wok, as the games don't exactly care if the disk is in the drive. :D
This *almost* works - the game now appears as something I can launch from within MechVM. But when it launches I can see dosbox appear briefly with the error "image not found" and then it quits.

I found the cfg file to update the paths so that it was pointing to the right location for the game files, but I can't find anything that configures where the image files (bin/cue) are pointing to.