Hey I'm new, really hoping you guys can help me, getting frustraited...

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Ravenarchon
I.S. Baby

Hey I'm new, really hoping you guys can help me, getting frustraited...

Post by Ravenarchon »

Hey all, I've been having a nightmare of a time getting mechwarrior 2 to run, and it seems to want to make me angry at every step of the way. Now I have yet another problem with it, and while I found a way through all my previous issues, this one has me stumped and I couldn't find any solutions online. I'm hoping someone here has some idea what's going on.

So I have the original DOS version, 1.0 "IBM CD-ROM." I installed it via dosbox, found out it couldn't read the CD, ripped the cue bin, finally got it running. So far so good, despite the frustration.

As I'm going through the game, the increase in difficulty for some missions is being compounded by the fact that my right side keeps exploding, sometimes seemingly for no reason, even when I swing my mech to shield myself with my left side. Looked online and found out that this was a known issue and patch 1.1 fixed it, so I downloaded the patch. You guys don't seem to have it in your download forum but I eventually found it online. I extracted it, and then patched via dosbox. It said it updated successfully.

But... now when I try and run the game, exactly as I was before (Mount cue, mount c:\, run c:\mech2\mech2) it just hangs. Forever. With a little blinking cursor at the bottom of the dosbox window doing nothing.

I don't know if the patch I got wasn't legit, or dosbox can't install it, or I don't even know. At this point I'm about ready to pull my hair out. I can't even figure out where my save file is because of the odd sorting of the mech2 folder, so if I have to reinstall to fix the problem I'm going to lose all my progress, but reinstalling would leave me with the detachable arm action feature unless I can install the patch anyway. Help?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Hey I'm new, really hoping you guys can help me, getting frustraited...

Post by navbuoy »

Where did you find the patch and how did you apply it?

That's the problem with mounting CDs and stuff. They use different logical letters and it could get a bit zany.
The best thing to do is put the patch in the installed game folder DosBox made.
The Trick is you have to do it in DosBox. So you go into the DosBox configuration file but replace the last command to actually run the game with the patchfile name instead to be run. (the command before that normally places you in the game folder you need) Then you know everything is alright.

Now, the other question is the patch itself...if it was the right one for your version of MW2.

It's a PITA but once sorted - the nostalgia wipes away all the frustration. :)