MW2 modding

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Odanan
I.S. Baby

MW2 modding

Post by Odanan »

Hello guys.

I'm a big Battletech fan and play MW2 since the demo. I'm also an old modder (done Quake, Battlefield, Making History and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 mods).
Surprisingly, I only found out the MW2 mods now.

Every year I replay MW2, MW2:GBL and MW2:M, but the game has a lot of balance issues, specially with the weapons. I always wanted to tweak some values (for instance, MGs are too powerful in MW2/MW2:GBL, Autocannons and Gauss are bad, PPC are too slow, pulse lasers do too much damage+heat...)

I have the Titanium version running in Win7 64bits - what programs do I need to get to be able to edit weapon values like projectile speed, damage, ammo/ton and rate of fire? (I tried MW2 Weapons Shop v 1.1 but it gives the "Overflow" error when I try to run the program)
Last edited by Odanan on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: MW2 modding

Post by LordNova2 »

Not familiar with Weapons Shop, but for my first try I would match up the program to the correct OS it was made for and set everything up inside a VM. At minimal I could at least modify the files and export them back out for use in my main/working installation.
If you have the correct OS for the program, you will have to do some digging, as some of these 3rd party programs/tools from back in the day required extra or specific versions of files (mostly DLLs) to be installed on your system for them to work properly.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

I just took a second look at the Weapons Shop, and it is was made in Visual Bassic 4. Thats getting back there a few years with Windows 9x, I think some of the VB4 stuff might have still worked in XP, I can't remember.
So your going to want to set this up in a VM with the Win95 (up to Win98SE) OS installed on it, if you still have problems there might be some missing files from the installer, but you can goto https://support.microsoft.com/kb/196286 to get the Visual Bassic 4 Runtime installation.
Odanan
I.S. Baby

Post by Odanan »

LordNova2 wrote:I just took a second look at the Weapons Shop, and it is was made in Visual Bassic 4. Thats getting back there a few years with Windows 9x, I think some of the VB4 stuff might have still worked in XP, I can't remember.
So your going to want to set this up in a VM with the Win95 (up to Win98SE) OS installed on it, if you still have problems there might be some missing files from the installer, but you can goto https://support.microsoft.com/kb/196286 to get the Visual Bassic 4 Runtime installation.
Thank you for the information. I will try a Virtual Machine here (for the love of the game) as soon as I get an older Windows installment.

These are the modifications I wanted for MW2/MW2GBL:
- Machineguns: -50% damage
- PPCs: +100% projectile speed
- SRMs, Gauss, Autocannons, lasers: +50% projectile speed
- Gauss, Autocannons: +100% ammo
- UACs: single shot, but with +100% rate of fire.
- pulse lasers: -50% damage, -50% heat
- SRMs and SSRMs: increased rate of fire

I also wanted to fix the jump jets, to avoid the "LAM effect" (mechs flying for kilometers at 300 km/h).

I suppose it would be possible to add the MW2:GBL extra mechs into the MW2 (and maybe some IS mechs from MW2:M as IIC variants - Commando, UrbanMech, Clint, Hunchback, Orion and Highlander).

Plus: rework for all the variants in game to be as close as possible to the canonical ones.

And this is only a dream: I wanted to decrease the size of the arms hitboxes of the mechs. As the game is, you always lose the arms first (so people put all their weapons in the torsos).