Strange bugs in Mechwarrior 2 Win95 edition

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Vandervecken
I.S. Baby

Strange bugs in Mechwarrior 2 Win95 edition

Post by Vandervecken »

Hi folks,
I'm seeing odd behaviours in my Win95 install. Stuff like:
1) If I'm walking and I pause, my heat just keeps rising
2) Sometimes my Mech explodes for no reason
3) In Mission 4 of the Jade Falcon campaing, all the enemies power up at once (making it practically impossible to win), and even brushing a structure in the Firebase causes my Mech (or my star-mate's Mech) to explode. 2/3 of the time he can't even get out of the firebase without running into it and destroying it.

It may have something to do with my install? In trying to get it working I did:
1) MechVM: Copy over a fresh MechVM. Put the Win95/Netmech edition in the drive. Install + Import in MechVM. Run The MechVM+native version. It gets stuck at the Sibko Identity stage with a purple rectangle overlay.
Then I tried Win95 native. Training missions worked but the first normal mission died with the following message in the MechVM window:
Process ended with code -1073741819.

2) Next I tried Win95 with MW2Hook, found here:
http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2
The game ran and missions worked, but random legal custom configurations (such as the Ryoken Primary in Jade Falcon Mission 1, minus its first pulse laser) failed with the "exceeds Keshik-defined maximum tonnage" error. Similar to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=188
That thread claimed that a dll replacement could fix the issue. I copied over the DLLs, but then I got an error with MW2Hook whereby going into a mission caused a crash.

3) Finally I tried just launching the Win95 version with those DLL replacements in, and that worked but has proven oddly buggy as described above.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Vandervecken
burningwreckage00
I.S. Baby

Re: Strange bugs in Mechwarrior 2 Win95 edition

Post by burningwreckage00 »

The heat rising issue actually happens for me when playing the dos version in dosbox.
EpicWarrior202
I.S. Baby

Post by EpicWarrior202 »

I have no idea, but maybe messing around with CPU speed in dosbox could help.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I think some of those issues might be due to CPU timing and running with both cores...recalled reading about it elsewhere about the heatsink thing.
Vandervecken
I.S. Baby

Post by Vandervecken »

I am running a VM with a single core and at 50% CPU utilization. The game feels sluggish, and the heat rises while paused.
EpicWarrior202
I.S. Baby

Post by EpicWarrior202 »

That reminds me of a bug that I first noticed in GBL dos. sometimes when I ran into a wall, my mech would just stop, didn't move at all. Then when I paused the game, the speed indicator number rose really fast and when I unpaused again I lost an arm or a side torso or something. Wasn't a major problem though.