Kell Refusal War install issue (DOS)

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Kell Refusal War install issue (DOS)

Post by navbuoy »

Feel like a bit of an idiot right now...tried to install Kells custom mission campaign Refusal War. As far as I know you go into the mechwarrior 2 game - i guess pick a clan and enter the ready room and go but I can even reading the debriefing without it crashing (unable to read BWD file) and all the mechs weights (in the mech lab) are off I think?

I copied the prj and exe manually from the GBL folder...(mind you the mech2 is not a clean install - its already has games played on it)
I edited the bat files (the second mission as per the instructions) and ran all three and it looks like its is successful the command screen prompts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong?
Really eager to play these missions.

EDIT - I did a clean install and tried it again. I'm getting a CANNOTOPENFILE error with Pinkscn1.bwd that keeps coming up everytime I try to read the debriefing and no option to launch is available?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Kell Refusal War install issue (DOS)

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

possible the file might have gotten corrupted. haven't heard from kell in a long while. Unfortunately i do not even remember the procedure for install on that.
If I get time i'll take a look, but no promises.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

That was my thoughts as well that the BWD file in question is corrupted. :(
It might give me more incentive to play with the files myself. I've already did a 3D logo for a friend a couple days ago using the old tools so I really want to give this campaign a whirl...by the way, has anyone ever done a direct SMK swap before with MW2?
Just rename the old file and replace it with another smacker movie in its place?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

OK, I went into MechVM and noticed that all the pinkXXXX.bwd's are missing (among a few other slot ranges). Eventually, I looked at my GBL MW2.prj file and see that it is missing there too? I plopped that modified MW2.PRJ back into the GBL and ran that and it seems be working still? I only went as far as the debriefing screen and it was the original defend the base mission so nothing changed there.

So I'm guessing it my version of the DOS GBL that's messing things up?

Before I extracted all the PINKXXXX.BWD files into a folder and tried to put them back into a copy of the modified PRJ but VM seemed to corrupt the PRJ. I figure I must have done something wrong there. :roll:
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Well the changes to the game only work on Mech2 95/DOS. I don't think you could run the mod in GBL.
But either way I just spent some time trying to get it to work and I am not having any luck either. The game crashes on launch for me when i go into either wolf or falcon.

I am suspecting that KAM needs to be installed before this will work, but I am unsure. Readme not entirely clear.

Edit: Yep, no luck here even with KAM installed. I just get a bunch of illegal reads then dosbox crashes when I get to the briefing.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

That's unfortunate but thanks for the quick reply...might try something else then.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

OK, in a last ditch effort I tried to make a quick BAT file using the PRJPP add function. Didn't work. No echo at prompt to show that it worked :( (unsure if it is functional or not - tried different forms of the syntax but still no go) Went into the VM and tried adding in there and replacing directly in the empty slot there and all it did was corrupt the PRJ file.
I recall reading that replacing files all hinges on it being the exact filesize to the original being replaced. If that's the case then there if no way of adding the missing BWD's since the slot they're in are 0 bytes.
:(
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

correct it must be an exact size of the file being replaced or smaller. The files in this basically are doing that already.