Pentium Edition fails to patch or execute

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Cobalt
I.S. Baby

Pentium Edition fails to patch or execute

Post by Cobalt »

Back in the day I bought Mechwarrior 2 bundled with the SideWinder 3D Pro joystick. I tried to install the game a few years back, on a new computer, but met with little success.

I was really excited to learn that viable patches had been developed for XP, but I can't seem to get any of them to work. I can successfully install the game, seeing the Wolf and Jade Falcon backdrop and hearing the midi. I then made both MECH2.EXE and MW2.EXE compatible in Windows XP via the program compatibility wizard, selecting Windows 95 for each. Then when I try to run either executable, or try to run the game from the CD prompt, I get a brief DOS window and... nothing happens.

When I try the Warp13 patch (from http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2), I get a box telling me "File does not match patch!" Trying to run the game after this, again, nothing happens.

For the heck of it, I also tried the patch found on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9). Again, a brief DOS window, then nothing.

Suggestions? Am I doomed?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Pentium Edition fails to patch or execute

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

First off your getting your versions mixed up.
slugs patch only works on 95 version, you installed the dos version off the disc from what it sounds like.

What you need to do is reinstall with the other installer on the disc make sure it launches a windows installer not dos....
when you have that installed then apply slugs patch and your done.

The DOS version does work and the second patch was appropriate for the version you installed, but yes there does sound to be an issue in your system somewhere... when get problems like that it usually means there is a corrupted system file and the system needs to be reformated and reinstall XP. Also are you using the batch files that the patch created in your start menu, because if you are not then your dos game will never launch.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Cobalt
I.S. Baby

Post by Cobalt »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:First off your getting your versions mixed up.
slugs patch only works on 95 version, you installed the dos version off the disc from what it sounds like.
I'm pretty sure it's the 95 version, because the install interface is Windows, and because my CD packaging specifically advertises it: "Designed for Windows 95". Also, I install from a splash screen that appears when I insert the CD, not from a DOS prompt. In fact, I've never even played the game through DOS, and I don't think I've ever installed it that way.
What you need to do is reinstall with the other installer on the disc make sure it launches a windows installer not dos....
when you have that installed then apply slugs patch and your done.
When I explore the CD, I see only one install file: INSTALL.EXE. I also have a shortcut to the DOS command "D:\Hybrid CD\INSTALL.EXE".
The DOS version does work and the second patch was appropriate for the version you installed, but yes there does sound to be an issue in your system somewhere... when get problems like that it usually means there is a corrupted system file and the system needs to be reformated and reinstall XP.
I installed XP on this computer only a few months ago. What sort of corruption? I've had no other problems with any other programs.
Also are you using the batch files that the patch created in your start menu, because if you are not then your dos game will never launch.
Do you mean MECH2.EXE in the Start Menu? I tried that, yes. In any case, as I described above, the WIndows 95 patch (slugs) tells me ""File does not match patch!" when I attempt to apply it.

Thanks for your help, but I'm still not sure what could be wrong. My luck, I guess!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

The reason it sounds like dos is because you mentioned a
I get a brief DOS window and... nothing happens.
What sort of corruption?
I wish I knew, we been trying to track down the issue for years, tried running all the obvious system diagnostics, even tried restoring the system files to make sure they were the origionals. All I can tell you for sure is that on some systems the only time the game works is after a fresh format. It is not corruption, I use that word because it sorta describes it but not quite.

Anyway, as I tell most people if slugs version fails you have a strange version of the game and you need to use the other method.
http://kontza.googlepages.com/mechwarri ... xppatching

I can also tell you that if it is a dos screen that is appearing and dissapearing it is because the cd is not being detected, make sure that your drive letter that the cd is in is the D: drive.
If you are describing a windows screen that appears and dissapears, check your compatibility settings and make sure mech2.exe is patched with either kontza's method or slugs.
Do you mean MECH2.EXE in the Start Menu?
No, I was speaking specifically about the DOS version after running the 1.1 patch I modified, it would not apply if you had 95. Sorry.

That is truly all I can tell you unfortuneatly, I wish I could be of more help, I have never seen a Pentium version with D:\Hybrid CD\.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Cobalt
I.S. Baby

Post by Cobalt »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:The reason it sounds like dos is because you mentioned a
I get a brief DOS window and... nothing happens.
Oh, you may be right. My readme says MechWarrior 2 DOS v1.1. But then how could I have a splash screen when I autoplay the CD? Why would it install in XP with installshield? I'm a little confused here.
I can also tell you that if it is a dos screen that is appearing and dissapearing it is because the cd is not being detected, make sure that your drive letter that the cd is in is the D: drive.
I was about to eat my words, since my CD drive was NOT designated as my D: drive in previous attempts. How stupid of me! Unfortunately the same problem is happening now that I've reassigned the drive letter. Same appearing and disappearing DOS window, followed by nothing. Could there be some other reason it's not seeing the correct drive?
Anyway, as I tell most people if slugs version fails you have a strange version of the game and you need to use the other method.
http://kontza.googlepages.com/mechwarri ... xppatching
[/quote]
This method is only for Mercenaries, though, right?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Nah, you arer right in what you said, it is 95 that you have, just your description was odd... soo my fault sorry.

As for the exit immediately, as I said if it is 95 version that means it is not patched.. it only does that on unpatched games.

No, the method applies to all 95 versions.
Mercs is just one of them, just do not use the pre-edited files, you have to do it by hand.
Cobalt
I.S. Baby

Post by Cobalt »

Okay, I followed the instructions for Kontza's method (and discovered your helpful pdf handbook in the process).

And... I can play the game! UNFORTUNATELY, the game crashes when I try to launch a mission, in addition to the overweight bug in the mech lab. I will try other methods over again, just in case I missed something, but any suggestions on what might be wrong are of course welcome.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

If you back up mw2shell.dll and replace it with the one attached you may have the bug with the mech lab go away, sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

As for crashes when you launch the mission are a different story, I am sorry to say I am not able to help there.
I would honestly suggest that you look into mech2 dos, you will have a much better time running that than the 95 version.
Attachments
MW2SHELL.rar
slugs dll
(148.87 KiB) Downloaded 534 times