No joystick with Ghost Bear - SOLVED!!

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
RJ'sDad
I.S. Baby

No joystick with Ghost Bear - SOLVED!!

Post by RJ'sDad »

Greetings;

Whilst looking for something new to do, I decided to pull out some of my old gaming software & see if I could
get them to run on Windows 7. After a lot of web research, I got all of my old Star Trek games to run just fine
(most of them are at least 15+ years old), albeit with a good deal of fancy tweaking; so I figured I'd give my
MechWarrior stash a try.

MW3 and 4 (plus expansions & goodies) installed and ran just fine, as does MechComander 2. But for the life
of me, I could not get MW2 to do a bloody thing. I figured if it didn't like Win 7, I'd try an older system; and with
patches got it to work on a second hd with Xp Pro SP2. I had the same headaches with Ghost Bear and Mercs,
then I discovered MechVM and bam! Got both to install and run on XP Pro; then brought the whole shootin'
match over to my Win 7 drive & now I don't have to swap my boot drive when I want to play. MechVm got
everything to work- well, almost everything.

MW2 & Mercs run just fine with my Sidewinder 8-button joystick, but Ghost Bear just won't have it. In order to
use a joystick I have to run GB under DOSBox and settle for a 2-button stick; which is ok, but I'd really like to
have all the same buttons mapped for all 3 games. I have tried to troubleshoot this, but nothing has worked.
All I have are the attached error messages. If anybody could help, I'd be most grateful. I've flat run out of ideas.
If I need to provide more information, please let me know what you need.

TYIA.....
Last edited by RJ'sDad on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai.
RJ'sDad
I.S. Baby

Re: No joystick with Ghost Bear - SOLVED!!

Post by RJ'sDad »

Good Morning All:

As I said earlier:...
but Ghost Bear just won't have it. In order to use a joystick I have to run GB under DOSBox and settle for a 2-button stick; which is ok, but I'd really like to have all the same buttons mapped for all 3 games. I have tried to troubleshoot this, but nothing has worked....
Well, it took awhile but I finally figured it out. After comparing the MechVM installation files with the CD/ROM files, I discovered that - for some reason - MVM wasn't installing all of the configuration files in the giddi &/or giddiwin folders. So I did a copy and paste of the critical files and everything works just like it's supposed to.

To any who even thought of helping, my thanks. While I wouldn't have minded the assistance, It's a lot more satisfying to have slain the beast myself. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: No joystick with Ghost Bear - SOLVED!!

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

glad to hear you got it!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.