Mechwarrior 2 Crashes on Mission Launch

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
ash123
I.S. Mech Washer

Mechwarrior 2 Crashes on Mission Launch

Post by ash123 »

I've tried following 2 different ways to install and run Mechwarrior 2 on Windows 7, and in each case, all seemed to be working well and the game even started up with working menus and all, but when ever i try to drop into a mission, the game crashes on the loading screen. I've tried using the windows 95 version on mechVM, and have also followed this http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/73563- ... -7-64-bit/ and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1nwRUmp ... re=mh_lolz and both have had the same results.

Im not sure what else to do.

i have Mechwarrior 2 for Windows 95 softkey/AOL edition(?)

my system:

manufacturer: ASUS
processor: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD graphics
RAM: 12 gigabytes
Always up for a Netmech game, PM me.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mechwarrior 2 Crashes on Mission Launch

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well, best advice i can give is to use the DOS version. That works 99% of the time. 95 version either works or it doesn't. It is very unreliable especially on 64bit windows.
I believe that version of the disc has both versions on it only reason we do not recommend it is because they stripped the soundtrack. I'd suggest trying to folow this guide for DOS or the generalMechVM video.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
ash123
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by ash123 »

Alright, i guess i don't mind using the DOS version, it seems to work just fine. im not sure if its just me, but the audio/graphics on the DOS version seem just a tad less quality, but its ok.

also, i just recently became aware that the version i have doesnt have a soundtrack during missions, but ive grown up with it like that so im ok with it, i feel more concentrated and serious without a BGM anyways, but i'll look into getting the soundtrack just to listen to.

one problem i have though is that the game doesnt recognize my Logitech Attack3 joystick and that kind of irritates me becuase ive always used this joystick to play mechwarrior 2 on my old computer. any help with this, please?

also, thank you for replying, im glad to see this site still active. its a big help :D
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I'm afraid I haven't had too much luck with joysticks myself.. the dos one is kinda picky as well. I think it may only work with ones that existed at the time. However you might try something like xpadder. That might work with some tinkering.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
ash123
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by ash123 »

ok, ill try using xpadder with it then.

uhm, last thing, is there a way i can get the PowerVR graphics with my version? and if there are any people who still play this on netmek, that'd be awesome if i could set it up and join :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

powervr you need the original graphics card to get that to work.
As for netmech. Welcome to drop by IRC, but yeah its been dead as of late sadly. :(
ash123
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by ash123 »

the original graphics card?:P oh well
sad to hear, but after i get re-acquainted with MW2, ill check out that IRC and stuff. if anything else, i'll just PM you i guess. other than that, i guess im done with this thread.
EventHorizon
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by EventHorizon »

I might be up for a game, I'm on irc alot.