Mechwarrior 2 3dfx unplayable due to poor framerate

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
robofish
I.S. Baby

Mechwarrior 2 3dfx unplayable due to poor framerate

Post by robofish »

I recently dug up my 3dfx version of Mechwarrior 2, and in a stroke of luck, found this, and was able to instal the game withoutn problems.

It starts to get bad when I launch the game, more specifically a mission. I get a FPS rate that is nothing short of abysmal (4-5 FPS) which makes the game unplayable.

I have tried several things including :

- Running in MechVM (no change)
- Running with VDMS (doesn't work)
- Running in windowed mode (it works, but the music doesn't loop, the terrain is bland and I still get slowdowns and fps loss when I twist my mech torso)

Bottom line, it works but it's unplayable

Can anyone assist me?

System specs : intel i7 with 8gb of ram , ATI radeon 4870 with Windows 7.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mechwarrior 2 3dfx unplayable due to poor framerate

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

sorry we can't really help you with the 3dfx version... that thread mostly explains how to get it to work and thats it...

Please use the DOS version.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
robofish
I.S. Baby

Post by robofish »

Bummer, thanks for the heads-up. I ordered a win95/dos version off e-bay following the version page on this forum I hope it will work :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

yeah if you use mechvm on that you should be able to get the dos version to work with little issues. :)
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
robofish
I.S. Baby

Post by robofish »

Sorry if I necro the thread, but I wanted to let you guys know that the dos version arrived and is working like a charm with mechvm. Although it didn't fixed the 3dfx version, I'm not exactly going to complain about the graphics of the dos version when it works flawlessly (lol). Thanks for the support! :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Glad to hear that worked for you!
foxtrix
I.S. Baby

Post by foxtrix »

I've noticed this too.

I have great performance (60fps) using dgvoodoo 1.5 at whatever resolution I choose, but whenever I move the mouse to twist the torso framerate drops to 20 fps or below.
This only happens when I move the mouse, if I move the torso using the keyboard performance doesn't drop.

Is this a bug in the 3dfx version?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

just with emulation. works fine on original hardware.