MW 2 3dfxVoodoo not working on XP

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
monolith666
I.S. Baby

MW 2 3dfxVoodoo not working on XP

Post by monolith666 »

I have the 3dfx voodoo version of Mech Warrior 2, dont ask me where it came from, I was like 4 when my brother got it :P

Unfortunetly now i want to play it on my windows xp, but it wont start up after installation.

at first i found a patch page that told me to use the MW2HOOK.exe patch but that did not work

I finally found your video on youtube and followed its instructions... but when i tried to reinstall mw2 it gave me this error

Application: ISSET_SE

The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficent resources to contiune running. Click on OK, close your applications, and restart your machine.

I am going to restart my computer later, but I just thought i should post that up to hear from ppl here if thats an unnatural error... i dont know if it is.

So when i get MW2 installed, i should just use the Mech2XPv3.exe patch and place it in the mech2 folder when it prompts me?

I really would love to be able to play mech warrior 2 again :) i hope theres not something retarted about the 3dfx voodoo version haha
ARCHVILE - <Defender of the Faith>> - SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE
<<>SNAP YOUR FINGERS, SNAP YOUR NECK<>>
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW 2 3dfxVoodoo not working on XP

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Actually the 3dfx version works just fine, but there is some differences vs the normal versions.
First off, the first patch you had at first does work, the issue i believe is that you forgot dgvoodoo. I am assuming that you do not have a Voodoo card in your system anymore; since that may be the case dgvooodoo is a requirement. You may get the latest beta at http://dege.freeweb.hu/. Extract the zip into the MechWarrior 2 directory and then run the configurator. You will have to play with the settings abit until the game runs right.

Now, the 16bit subsystem error, that one is abit more tricky.
Usually for me that one goes away on reboot, but if you are on SP3 for some reason it may never go away; least, it has not for me.
There are some suggestions on how to fix a 16bit error at this page http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8486 or http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

You also meantioned the Mech2XPv3.exe patch; this patch is not compatible with 3dfx.
You only have two choices, either you use the first method you found or use the 2nd method in the video nicknamed kontza's method.
The video suggests that you use the zip to save time, with the 3dfx version you may not be able to do that except for the mw2shell.dll, which you will have no choice but to use; since, kontza's method has a problem with creating mechs. Full details on kontza's method may be found at http://kontza.googlepages.com/mechwarri ... xppatching

I should warn you ahead of time, the 3dfx version requires alot of cpu power to run; if your system is not highend you may have trouble running it because of all the extra emulation that is going on in the background. You may be better off using the DOS version of MechWarrior 2.

Almost forgot, if you use the first method you found then you need the mw2shell.dll from the zip to use from kontza's method, and you will have to turn some switches off in the shortcut for that method.
/-mechlab is the switch you must turn off, otherwise it will crash upon opening mechlab. This method is the best method. If you choose this method, your game should run correctly, if you do not choose this method you may encounter issues such as jumpjet recharge and missiles exploding as they exit your mech.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.