MW2 Missle Glitch/Error + other MechVM and Mech 2 question

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
JonOBonBon
I.S. Baby

MW2 Missle Glitch/Error + other MechVM and Mech 2 question

Post by JonOBonBon »

OK, this is my first time on the forum, so I'd like to get down to business. I spent several attempts to download Mechwarrior 2 on my windows XP computer, and it finally worked with MechVM. However, none of the other methods seemed to work. As I started playing, I always remembered Mad Dog Shooting itself whenever it fired missiles. So I tried again, and my Mad Dog would take damage from it's own missiles. I don't know what the issue is, but I would like to think that there is a patch for it or something, but I haven't been able to find it. Also, when I downloaded Mechwarrior 2 with Mech VM it said it loaded 16 Mechs, but it said "Could Not Import Whitworth, Wolf Trap, and Zeus". What are they and are they important? And one small pet peeve is about the music in game. When I started the mission "Silent Thunder" it played "Arkham Bridge" instead. It used to play "Silent Thunder" and the file shouldn't be missing because my brother has the song on his MP3. If it is missing, as well as others, how do I put them back? Thanks.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW2 Missle Glitch/Error + other MechVM and Mech 2 questi

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Sadly with regards to your problem on missiles there is not alot that can be done. The problem can be mostly solved though with cpugrab and messing with that till you get a setting that is close enough.
There is no magic bullet for this problem. If it is a multi core CPU then you will need to run that program with more than one instance and probably a few of them at 99%.
That is the generic answer for all versions.

Now, if you have the 95 version of Mechwarrior 2 i can also point you to slug's hook which to some extent is reported to fix the problem.
Again I do not recommend the 95 versions anymore, but if it works try it at least. Do the install without mechvm or copy the folder that mechvm created for mech2 and modify it for the hook.

Regards to the import problems that will in no way affect the game. Just ignore it. It has to do with the mechlab in mechvm itself if i recall right.

Lastly the sound issue has nothing to do with mechvm. If the game is doing that it is doing it. The files are in CD form so it accesses things by track. It may be that the version you have is accessing that track on purpose.
I am saying this mostly because I do not know what version of MechWarrior 2 you are using. If you are using titanium for instance.... that version has an altered and shortened sound track or if you were (you clearly are not) using the AOL version you get absolutely no music.

Sorry that is not that helpful, but at present with the information given I cannot be more precise.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
JonOBonBon
I.S. Baby

Post by JonOBonBon »

I'm Sorry for not listing my version, seeing that it plays a key role in determining the problems. I believe that it is the Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat With NetMech for Windows 95/MS-DOS.

I also resolved the missile issue by using the cpugrab, but somehow my dad fired his missiles without cpugrab and he didn't kill himself. It was kinda weird, but I'm not to worried about it anymore. Thanks for the help.

Also, is it possible to play NetMech with MechVM or not because once I launch MechVM, it takes me straight to the "choose your clan" screen. Thanks.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Hey no worries! :) Thanks for the info

Yeah that missile bug is come and go.. and really annoying, but yeah its doable workaround with that.
Glad to hear it worked!

Now with regards to netmech and mechvm, yes there is a plugin for it, but I have never used it so I cannot be of any help on that.
I usually just point everyone to the netmech download because everything is presetup and works out of the box.

I would give the mechvm plugin a try I am curious really myself.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
JonOBonBon
I.S. Baby

Post by JonOBonBon »

OK, My problem has worsened with the music in game. Now only a few select tracks play, and Windows Media Player only detects about six songs, and it was after I put it in my cd player. I did a little research and I kept finding things about making a .cue file and attaching it to an image .bin file. But to no avail, I still don't understand what to do. I looked through the files in the Mech 2 CD, but couldn't find anything that resembled music, and only 3 files that end in .BIN. The one post said that I can download the .cue files from mediafire, but I also have the mp3's stored on my hard-drive. I also read that there was a video on how to do it, but when I watched it, it was just a DosBox Installation. Do I need to use DosBox (I'm using MechVM) for the .cue and .bin files to work. A detailed tutorial would be appreciate, since i can't find one, or maybe just explain what the .cue or .bin files are, since I really don't know what they are. Thanks!

(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=975#p6306)
(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=870)
(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=828)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Instructions

Just follow the steps 3-5 and set it up after in mechvm and it should work.
Otherwise follow all instructions and install from scratch.
JonOBonBon
I.S. Baby

Post by JonOBonBon »

Thanks for the help, but I still have one more question. In the Trials of Grievance you are given Starmates to assist you. I know that i used to be able to command them many years ago, but when i press the b button or CTRL+F1,F2,F3, no menu pops up to give them my orders. I looked around the files and found a file called GAMEKEY.MAP and it allowed me to alter the controls on my keyboard. I tried different keys, but none of them worked and no pop up menu came up. I don't know if its a game issue since it has been well used, but my Dad found a Mechwarrior 2 Pentium Edition in an old filing cabinet, unopened, so that may work better than what I have now. :D
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

If I recall correctly in MechWarrior 2 your wing mates are controlled through the menu that pops up when you press b. (I rarely ever have used the wingmates)
I am not sure if that applies to mercs.

And with regards to Pentium edition... you probably would be worse off, but it depends on the OS. XP its sorta ok and works 40% of the time, but Vista and above it will not work properly.
metroid_sax1
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by metroid_sax1 »

To all in here, you controll who you Star mates (Lancemates reference Mechwarrior 3) attack, and they will fire their weapons to their hearts content