distorted colors during gameplay

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
bloodspit
I.S. Baby

distorted colors during gameplay

Post by bloodspit »

Hi, Currently I'm running mechwarrior 2 on windows XP. I am running what I believe to be is the win 95 version, apparently bundled with micron or something like that... I've patched it to 1.1 and am using the warp13 xp patch v3. Everything is pretty much running great.. whenever i first launch it and do my first mission the game is fine, however any subsequent missions the colors will be distorted (unless i restart the game). I've tried using 256 color mode and alt tabbing but to no avail. Keep in the mind the menus are completely fine. I've used the solutions in the faq but they haven't worked.

Another issue appears to be framerate whenever I look down or up...

Many thanks obliged.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: distorted colors during gameplay

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I'm afraid I don't quite have a solution for you. What you sorta describe is the bug we call rainbow road... there really never was a fix other than what you just mentioned for the 95 version. Had you been in DOS version and had this bug you wouldn't even be able to fix it without dosbox or another virtual machine.

Now the framerate issue well if you had said you wee using slugs wrapper i would have told you to turn the heap hack off, but since it is his patch there is no switches...
I cannot really suggest anything except to make sure all non essential Windows programs are shut down and that you turn the game graphics down more. Which is the usuall..

Try Alt + enter in the game and see how it runs windowed maybe...

Sorry man.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
bloodspit
I.S. Baby

Post by bloodspit »

I would consider using dosbox but this computer's specs are not up to par to run it efficiently in an emulated environment. Perhaps it may be the integrated video card to blame....? The fact that it runs completely fine on first run however alludes me to believe otherwise..... Anything else you could suggest upgrades aside..?

Windowed mode seems to work fine as you had suggest althought I'd prefer fullscreen I suppose this will suffice for now,

On the subject of framerates, I'll try what you had suggested later on although I do not see any reason why I should have any drops...

has there been any discussion of a source code release of the mechwarrior 2 engine...?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yeah, I am not sure why your system is getting low framerates on that either really.... It should not be.
With regards to source code, yeah everyone wants the source code to fix the game, but Activision is not interested in releasing it...
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
bloodspit
I.S. Baby

Post by bloodspit »

do I need the CD in the drive in order to play the game with music? Currently I'm just mounting an iso
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yes the disc must be in the drive to have music.