MW2 original video card help

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
therealnph
I.S. Baby

MW2 original video card help

Post by therealnph »

Hi new to the site.

well id liek to know what video cards were used with this epic game back in the day, well the ones it came with.
I would really like to find one so i can play this game the way i played it so long ago.

My dad had the game a joystick which i still have, and one of the video cards for it back wen it was new, problem is he says that its all scraped the video card burnt out or sumthing.,

so what were the video cards called that were designed for mechwarrior 2?

btw, say i were to find one what kind of OS would i need so far i have a w/98 pc i was planning on using, but if i have to use 95 thats no prob either.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW2 original video card help

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hi therealnph, welcome!

Well, with regards to what video card MechWarrior 2 was made for the answer is that it depends.
I say that because the original version of MechWarrior 2 was not made with Graphics Cards in mind.
MechWarrior 2 DOS was all software rendering, so what graphics card you may have had in the machine mattered very little.

Now, the 95 versions that is another story. There are about 4-5 different versions of MechWarrior 2 that had to do with video cards.

MechWarrior 2: 3dfx Interactive Edition - 3dfx Voodoo cards (Any)
MechWarrior 2: 3D Rage Edition - ATI 3D Rage (must be of the rage family of cards)
MechWarrior 2: Matrox Mystique - Matrox Mystique family of cards
MechWarrior 2: Power VR - Power VR Family of cards.
Might be another, but off the top of my head I do not remember it.

Basically bottom line for a MW2 version that really harnesses the card more than generically you want one of the above.
What I mean by generically is that all other 95 versions of MechWarrior 2 use some form or another of DirectX or Software Rendering.
This would be specifically the vanilla versions, Titanium editions and Battlepack.

If you have a Windows 98 comp like you mentioned really then you are set already if you just want a vanilla version of the game running.
Otherwise, if you are after a more graphically pleasing version the 3dfx version would be my recommendation. To get that running the easiest way is to buy a 3dfx Voodoo 5500 & MechWarrior 2 3dfx Interactive Edition.
Really any 3dfx model will work with the game, but I would go with their last model simply because it was the fastest one at the time. Now the problem will be finding a 3dfx Interactive Edition disc if you do not have it already... ebay as I look right now does not appear to have any rare versions up at the moment except the matrox mystique version.

Anyway, that is about it.
I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you need any further help.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
therealnph
I.S. Baby

Post by therealnph »

Well good sir, you are the MAN lol alot of good info there, but i have many versions of mechwarrior 2 including 3dfx what version is the most pleasing to the eye? or is it all very similar?

i just downloaded a torrent with the 4 different graphically enhanced versions i hope that's not a problem here?

I do support developers by buying their games, but i highly doubt MW2 devs will see a penny from me buying this game from where ever online.
if i could find a graphically enhanced version with the box ect, i would buy it, all i could find on ebay was Pentium editions and dos editions.
And to be honest i only want to play graphically enhanced versions like when i was a kid its just not the same years later in the future to play it with less lol.

Thanks again!!!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I'm sorry but we do not support piracy even if the game is off the shelves.
When you get a proper copy come back again and I will be glad to help you further.

Ps. Yes, there are more than just Pentium and DOS on ebay. Two ATI Rage Editions are now on there Link 1, Link 2.

Regards to the differences there are differences and each is up to the individual. Each has their own traits that look better in some situations. The second most sought after version to get running is the ATI Rage edition.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
therealnph
I.S. Baby

Post by therealnph »

that is really just to bad, I could understand if it was a newer mechwarrior but even then mw4 is free to play, but either way i have more than enough information to get this to work, thanks.