Crashing game

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
KillEr_raccOons
I.S. Baby

Crashing game

Post by KillEr_raccOons »

Hi, i'm brand new to the forum and I've been browsing for some time, but haven't been able to find the answer to my specific question. So I apologize if it's already been covered. I just picked up a MW2 CD from a thrift store and have been trying to install it. It SEEMS to go through the installation process fine, and runs the game through cinematic at the start. However when I either try and go into a clan hall, or launch a Trial of Grievance, the game crashes. I tried using MechVM, and playing it through that, but i dont think DoS box starts because it crashes almost immediately. Currently I'm using Windows Essential 2, which is pretty much windows XP, and I can't imagine that I might have any hardware constraints. I was just wondering why it crashes, and how I could fix it.
This game has some very important memories of my childhood, and I would LOVE to get it working again. Either with the original disk, or by running it on some sort of an emulator and I sincerely would appreciate any help that anyone could give me. Once again, I apologize if this question has already been addressed, just please point me in the right direction.

-raccoon
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Crashing game

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hey, welcome!

Umm, well could you please first tell us what version of the game that you have?
This matters alot for an answer because there are so many different versions each that have minor differences.

You mentioned dosbox though, so i'm goona have to assume you have a version that has DOS on it.
Well, if that is the case then if you are running XP you should have a pretty easy time running it.

Just follow this guide.
This works on XP only though. It does not use DOSBOX. It runs it directly.

Please try that (assuming my guess is right) and let me know what happens.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
KillEr_raccOons
I.S. Baby

Post by KillEr_raccOons »

Omg it's working. So cool. I'm going to have to do that VDM Sound thing because the crackling gets annoying.

At the store I also bought GBL, Mercs, and NetMech, can't wait to get those running as well!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

awesome great to hear! Enjoy! :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.