Hardware and Operating System Specs for MW2 95 Versions

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Hardware and Operating System Specs for MW2 95 Versions

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Alright, I am hoping that this thread may be used to determine whether the problem is software or hardware related that some players cannot get in while others can.
So far I am leaning OS software related, as after a clean format usually in most cases the game does work.

Please post your system specs and whether you are able to run the 95 version of MechWarrior 2.
This does not apply to Titanium.

If your CPU is Intel, please specify whether Hyperthreading is on or whether your processor supports it, and whether you have tried turning it off.

In a format like this:

Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K8W (Optional)
CPU: 2x AMD Opteron Socket 940 (Non Dual Core)
MW2 Version: Non-Retail Pentium/Retail Pentium/AOL Version(Softkey)/Netmech
Description of Problem: It works in all XP versions except for SP3, it crashes in MechLab, or upon launch.

Something like that.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
marshvixen
I.S. Baby

Re: Hardware and Operating System Specs for MW2 95 Versions

Post by marshvixen »

ok umm how do i find my specs?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Well, CPU-Z is one way, but usually if your machine is a Dell/HP or something you can find the specs on the front.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
marshvixen
I.S. Baby

Post by marshvixen »

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 550
MW2 version: Pentium Edition "i believe its retail"
Description of Problem: works in 95/98, but when i try to launch a mission of anykind "campaign, training, trails" a message pops up saying Mech2 exe. has encountered a problem and needs to close.

NOTE: i had the same problem with MW3 but was fixed by maxing out all graphic settings in the game.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Try the new patch at http://www.warp13.co.uk/static/MW2HookSetup.exe, it just came out it is hot off the press!
Delta_Strike_
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Delta_Strike_ »

98 Cpu:Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5500
MW2 version: Windoows 95 Pentium megamedia bundle
Status:When I try to run it a black window appears showing in text microsoft xp with a copyright,and some number with the word documents,setting,and my name.

it installed correctly I also set my windows copatibility wizred to Win. 95 , the autorun gets me a black window then disappears . Installation was normal
The cd was never used by anyone else.
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Speaking of CPU-Z, I got my laptops CPU speed like you requested, Radick. It's;

core speed: 751.7MHz
multiplier: x 7.5
bus speed: 100.2MHz
Intel Pentium III E

...And the reason for the screen "blackouts" and "mech2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close", problems, these are HARDWARE related. Once, I tried installing the pentium (or, known as "vanilla") edition on my desktop XP with the help of "Slug's patch" and the backwards compatibility wizard. The very same error message popped up on my screen! Then I tried installing it on my XP laptop, with the same patch, cd, and back-compat wizard. I fired up Mech2, and the strangest thing happened... it was working!

I'm not sure how to help further than that, but now you can narrow it down to HARDWARE. Sir MMPD Radick may be able to hep you from here.

P.S., Radick, this MW2Hook that's "hot off the press", is it a different one than the you sent me?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Delta_Strike_
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Delta_Strike_ »

so much for my computer :o
Last edited by Delta_Strike_ on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta_Strike_
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Delta_Strike_ »

Centrino duo Xp Media edition
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

Computer: Dell Dimension 8300 Series (In case you want to know, this is one of those sixth-gen WinXP-epoch systems)
Processor Unit: Intel Pentium 4 Processor, Dual Core (Two 2.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM since both give 512 MB)
Mech2 Version: Retail Pentium (Confirmed)
Status: Not really working (good for movies and archives only is what I can really say)
Description: Following the instructions on the install and patch video (and even using the Hook), it does operate the movies, but crashes while saving in MechLab and doesn't launch into missions (ah, it gives me "encounter-problem, needs-closure" and Slug's MW2Shell.DLL was the "ModName" mentioned. Not sure if it's meant to be blamed). My aunt's laptop (HP Vista Home Premium SP1 with the same settings), strangely enough, was able to save a MechLab config I made once, but it still doesn't launch into a mission. Not sure if Windows ME can run it though (yeah, it's an old Dell that can still run some good games, guh to reinstalling and hooking up everything).

I'm pretty sure that based on what I'm reading on this thread, some laptops and most 1997-2001 PCs have a tendency to run Mech2 a bit [or a lot] better than modern desktops.

Final Edit: Oh wait. I was running my stats from a limited account. You're better off using an administrator's authorization to install.
Last edited by blackyoshi1230 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackYoshi: "In war, there are no true winners".
NotSid: "There are those who die, and those who don't". (Quote made Dec 16, 2008 at a 7P Avon session at 8-9PM PST)