Hardware and Operating System Specs for MW2 95 Versions

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Delta_Strike_
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Re: Hardware and Operating System Specs for MW2 95 Versions

Post by Delta_Strike_ »

[quote="blackyoshi1230"]Computer: Dell Dimension 8300 Series
Processor Unit: Intel Pentium 4 Processor, Dual Core
Mech2 Version: I believe it's Retail Pentium

Are you running this from dosbox or direct, and what videos were you following?
From what you say that is probaly the mechlab issue from the dll hex fix, their is now another solution that is better and works around that. Also what are you running the mech2 from? It also can be better if you could tell if you have the retail or non-retail pentium, why? Well for me the retail is a bit harder to work with

()
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

It's actually Retail Pentium (the Win95 alone version, since I only found _MINST.EXE.). I followed MMPD's Win95 XP video (the second half) and did the hook process mentioned. I wish I had a DOS version, though.

What better solution do you have?
BlackYoshi: "In war, there are no true winners".
NotSid: "There are those who die, and those who don't". (Quote made Dec 16, 2008 at a 7P Avon session at 8-9PM PST)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

System: Sony Vaio-FZ31Z
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, no Hyperthreading
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600 mobile
RAM: 4GB
Operating System: Windows Vista SP1, both 32 and 64 bit with similar results
Game Version: MW2:31stCC, Win95, German

I installed using MW2's installer and MechVM. Both were patched using Köntzä's method. I get frequent crashes after clicking MechLab or attempting to start the mission. MW2's installation won't let me launch into missions, it just instantly assumes I failed without showing a launch screen or it shows an error message. I don't get sound for some of the animations: intro videos.

Under Vista 64 bit, the 16-bit subsystem is missing, so I cannot install using the CD's installer. I also had problems with the hook under Vista 64, the game crashed after intro video, before choosing an allegiance. Slug's patch does not recognize the German version.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

My other System:
CPU: AMD Opteron 180, Dual core 2.4GHz
RAM: 2.5GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

MW2:31stCC (Pentium Edition and 3DFX), MW2:GBL (Pentium Edition) work beautifully under Windows XP SP3 on this machine, but all of them fail when entering the sim under Vista SP1.
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

Computer: Compaq Presario
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
Power: 2.41 GHz with 441 MB of RAM with Physical Address Extension
Version: Mech2: 31st Century Combat Retail Pentium Edition (using the latter half of MMPD's video, will test out with weapon/BattleMaster patches)

Description: It works. Simulator is smooth and fast. MechLab works perfectly, lack of in-game music (well, maybe that's the version, but the hall music works, but hey, you can always download the OST and play it in the background, just set the mission's song to Repeat Alone). I'm going to swap my keyboard soon (yeah, using a retail Microsoft Keyboard feels awkward. I might as well use the one that came with the package and it's only in my room next door, hey, it's not my comp, but I'm able to run it). My only issue is pre-exploding missiles (better off setting CPUGrab from 30 to 40).

One thing I noticed that this one showed me the (Play MechWarrior 2 or Play NetMech) signs when the CD is in, unlike my Dell, which only said (Install). Really.

Edit: I realized that turning on Chozo's Mod ended up giving me an automatic mission failure. Guess it's not really for the version I have (either that or the patches conflict with each other, unless I should leave the MW2SHELL.DLL file alone while replacing the files). I did the weapons, BattleMaster, and make-it-work patch all in one (unless that's not really supposed to happen. Oh well, might as well try to get a vanilla copy). Not sure if anyone would help out with that.
Last edited by blackyoshi1230 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotSid: "There are those who die, and those who don't". (Quote made Dec 16, 2008 at a 7P Avon session at 8-9PM PST)
OmarGoseman
I.S. Baby

Post by OmarGoseman »

Motherboard: MSI P35 Diamond (MS-7356)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz
GPU: nVidia 9800 GX2
RAM: DDR3 2GB
MW2 Version: Softkey

EDIT: I switched to DOSbox after the win95 version crashes on mission launch after 10 days
Last edited by OmarGoseman on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

Did you try Slug's Hook for the 95 Version? Or are you playing it through DOSBox?

You can probably check hyperthreading just by hitting a certain function key on your computer's startup (it's usually F2...)
OmarGoseman
I.S. Baby

Post by OmarGoseman »

Its all good now Blackyoshi, DosBox did the trick. I'll be back tomorrow to see what my MoBo has to say about hyperthreading.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

And magically the Win95 versions started to work again under Vista32, but not Vista64. It complained about a missing dplay.dll, which I didn't have. I fed it with a dplayx.dll and it worked. I installed all versions using MechVM, so I know the Mercs installer works again. It allows you to pick DOS or Windows, but in either case it will install both.
GB_BlackKnight
I.S. Baby

Post by GB_BlackKnight »

Main system running WinXP 32bit SP 3:
Intel Core Duo E8600 3.33 Ghz w/3 GB RAM (4 really, but only 3 shows up, naturally)
Clean install, NetMech95 runs fine. (my version of Mech2 95 is one that came with my Diamond Monster 3D card, but is completely compatible with other regular Win95 version - I remember playing it on Kali, back in the day)

Alienware Laptop running WinXP 32bit SP3:
Intel Pentium4 CPU 3.0 GHz w/1 GB RAM (made in 2003)
Not a clean install, Netmech95 runs fine, using same disk as above - just swapped it out of main drive when testing it.

Dell Laptop running Vista 32bit SP 1:
Intel Core Duo T8300 2.4 GHz w/4 GB RAM
not a clean install, Netmech95 does NOT run. I get an error message stating its not installed when I click on the shortcut.

Server system running Win2003 Server 32 bit all updated
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 GHz w/1 GB RAM
Not a clean install, Netmech95 does NOT run. Same error message as the Vista machine.

Hope this is useful. It does seem that it only likes to work in the XP environment for the most part...