3dfx version on Windows 7 / 64 bit

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
hooby3dfx
I.S. Baby

3dfx version on Windows 7 / 64 bit

Post by hooby3dfx »

Hello again!

I just thought I would mention that this IS POSSIBLE - I thought it was old news until I just saw some posts turning away some sad folk.

Instructions for playing the 3dfx version in Windows 7 / 64 bit:
0. insert/mount 3dfx version
1. install game with MechVM: http://www.mechvm.org/
2. get/install MW2Hook: http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2
3. copy DPLAY.dll from the directx folder on the mech2 cd to the game dir (default is mechvm\game dir)
4. get dgvoodoo: http://dege.freeweb.hu/
5. setup dgvoodoo in game dir and off you go with mw2inject! (that is, get dgvoodoosetup.exe and the glide dll from dgvoodoo and put them in the mech2 dir. then run dgvoodoosetup if needed)
6. make sure your cd is in/mounted on the d drive for cd audio. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: 3dfx version on Windows 7 / 64 bit

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

you sure that will work? I tried pretty much the same thing a year ago and it gave me the usuall problems.
I'll try it again when i can find the disc.

Edit Confirmed:
I don't know why when I tried it last year that it didn't work.
Congrats again hooby. Good find. I'll correct my documentation.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Post by saracen16 »

I could kiss you, hooby. But I have to ask: is this technique also useful with the Pentium edition?

I know it's been a while since I've been here. Life has a tendency to get in the way.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Nope, i'm afraid this fix only appears to work on 3dfx. I tested the methodology out on the netmech edition and it does fix the DPLAY.DLL issue, but it doesn't fix the fatal error that comes after that.
This was both using slug's hook and kontza/slug's patch. Neither produced decent results.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
kchri
I.S. Baby

Post by kchri »

Thanks so much for this guide! I got it working (albeit no music during missions and the resolution appears to be something like 600X800[?] - still looks great, though) on my Win7 32 bit machine by setting up dgvoodoo within the game's dir under MechVM, NOT the "Mech2" directory. I really appreciate all the help - I'm going to play this on my huge new HDTV soon!!

Any ideas about the game resolution and lack of soundtrack for in-mission gameplay? Thanks so much in advance, hooby3dfx and Sirx_MMPD_Raddick. You've both been invaluable.

EDIT: Wait.. the "D" drive for CD audio? That drive is my backup partition. Does it HAVE to be D? How does one do that? If it came to it though, I would play the soundtrack music in a background program just to have the in-mission music. I tried tinkering with some settings in the dgvoodoo setup but with still no alteration in graphic resolution.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

IIRC, dgvoodoo has a GUI that allows you to force games to use a particular resolution.

MW2 requires the CD to be in the first CDROM drive. The game was written before people had several CDROM drives. The precise letter does not matter, though it helps to be sure that it is the right drive if it is D:.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Using the DPLAY.DLL from the DirectX folder on the CD really does make a difference for both the Win95 versions of 31stcc and GBL. On one machine, I can launch into the sim again. On the other Win7 machine, it crashes right after the intro, but that appears to be some other issue. An update to the current version of MechVM is available here.

Thanks for pointing this out.
kchri
I.S. Baby

Post by kchri »

Hello, it's me again. Although I got the 3DFX patch to work for my version of 31stCC (which I'm pretty sure is also the 3dfx version), there is still no in-mission music for me. I even tried using the disc in the actual DVD-ROM drive, as well as mounting it (although I don't know if I can mount to the lowest drive letter with Daemon Tools).

So, I'm still trying to get this dream to work.. I saw a YouTube video uploaded by pBlggZz where he got it to work and he said he used mechinject along with a bunch of other patches. He said he came to the mech2.org forums to find these. I did a search and didn't find workaround patches with "mechinject" in the name so I'm wondering what he's talking about. Can anyone tell me how to get in-mission music once and for all?? Thanks in advance for the responses and enormous help! You guys rock!!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

dunno about the fix for the music, but mechinject i think he meant to say slug's hook.