Whole bunch of tech or info type questions

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Destroy
I.S. Baby

Whole bunch of tech or info type questions

Post by Destroy »

1. For all of the Mech2 games, which is better to use, win98se or winXP?

2. From what I have read, any 64bit version of Windows has major problems getting any of the Mech2 games working, correct?

3. From what I have read, any Vista and Win7 version has also many problems getting any of the Mech2 games working, correct?

4. I've seen the thread on all the different Mech2 versions but its a bit vague with descriptions missing in many areas. Is there a thread that lists out what ALL the differences are between the 3dfx version, D3D version, Titanium version, 95 version, Pentium version, etc?

5. Stemming from the last question, which version of Mech2 is considered the best looking version?

6. A high res texture pack does not currently exist for any Mech2 version, correct?

7. I have my Mech2 Voodoo version running well on my winXP, Pentium 4 3.0Ghz, 1.5gb, 8800GTX setup using dgVoodoo. FRAPS frame rates show it dips to the mid to high teens when moving the mouse quickly. This is at 800x600 btw. Is the D3D version less power hungry and as good looking?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Whole bunch of tech or info type questions

Post by Skyfaller »

1. The DOS, Win95, and 3D enhanced versions of MW2 will work better with Win98SE than with WinXP. However, WinXP, will probably work better with your computer. In prior experiments, I found the stability of Win9x declining on newer hardware. At some point, Win9x always stops working for me, and I have to reinstall.

2+3.The DOS versions and Titanium Trilogy work well on recent editions of Windows. Other editions do not work well or at all.

4. I think we all have better things to do than writing up a complete list of differences between the versions of MW2, but feel free to start that list.

5. That is a matter of opinion. There are threads that show screenshots of the versions, so you can make up your own mind.

6. Correct.

7. I do not know the reason. It may be because of Voodoo emulation. Have you tried running the DOS versions?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

The version guide lists some differences between the versions, but it is meant as advice on selecting a version to buy rather than being a complete list:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281
Destroy
I.S. Baby

Post by Destroy »

Thanks for the replies Skyfaller, you certainly seem to be the resident Mech2 pro around here. :)

Good point with the hardware compatibility of win98se. Don't think it will like my SSD, Raid 0 or ati6970. Guess best to use an older computer if win98 is ones OS of choice.

Reason for Q7 was partially due to me thinking of getting a gaming laptop 'on the cheap' to run older games. Carmageddon 3dfx, Mech2, Uprising, Jagged Alliance 2, Ultimate Race Pro, Whiplash 3dfx, Deus Ex, Mech3, Unreal, StarSiege, Screamer Rally.... gives you an idea. But I am unsure as to what performance level I will need to run these older games in their full or moded glory. The lowish frame rates on my desktop already has me worried I'll need to spend more than $250 for a used gaming laptop.

I have seen treads of converting the Dos to 3dfx version but not converting the 3dfx version into the Dos version. I only have the 3dfx version that came with my old Voodoo2 card(which I stupidly got rid of). Is it possible to run my Voodoo2 version without the 3D enhancements i.e. in Dos mode? :?:
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Reason for Q7 was partially due to me thinking of getting a gaming laptop 'on the cheap' to run older games. Carmageddon 3dfx, Mech2, Uprising, Jagged Alliance 2, Ultimate Race Pro, Whiplash 3dfx, Deus Ex, Mech3, Unreal, StarSiege, Screamer Rally.... gives you an idea. But I am unsure as to what performance level I will need to run these older games in their full or moded glory. The lowish frame rates on my desktop already has me worried I'll need to spend more than $250 for a used gaming laptop.
I really would not recommend a laptop for MechWarrior 2. It is generally the case that most of the people who try and play mech2 on a laptop new or old causes problems with the keymap in mech2 because most laptops do not have standard keyboards. External keyboards sometimes alleviate the problem, but not fully.
I have seen treads of converting the Dos to 3dfx version but not converting the 3dfx version into the Dos version. I only have the 3dfx version that came with my old Voodoo2 card(which I stupidly got rid of). Is it possible to run my Voodoo2 version without the 3D enhancements i.e. in Dos mode?
Main reason for people wanting to convert 3dfx to DOS is because some DOSBOX versions are able to emulate glide.

With regards to not having a 3dfx card anymore, yes you can play your 3dfx version of mech2 on Windows XP (not sure of any other OS Vista/Win7 are out atm that I know) . There are glide wrapperswhich you can use that will emulate the glide that is required. I've tried a few other versions of wrappers to see if it would work on Win7 or Vista, but so far I haven't had any luck with any other wrapper. Dgvoodoo only works properly on XP.

Personally for all of this I would skip all the hastles of 95 versions and get ahold of all DOS versions and run it in DOSBOX. It works nearly flawlessly on Win7/Vista.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.