[GBL]An interesting DOSBOX install problem

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Dan Pyre
I.S. Baby

[GBL]An interesting DOSBOX install problem

Post by Dan Pyre »

Hello all,

I've just found that my CD version of MechWarrior 2 (Pentium Edition) does not have a DOS install feature, so I cannot play it through DOSBOX. Saddened, I installed my version of MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries, and while I enjoy playing that very much, without the dynamic salvage patching it doesn't feel the same. So I figured I'd go ahead and attempt to install my Ghost Bear's Legacy through DOSBOX and give it a whirl.

Interestingly, I can get the .cue file mounted and sorted properly, run the install initially, whereupon it asks me to insert my Mechwarrior 2 CD for verification.

I've tried:
-Inserting the MechWarrior 2 CD
-Mounting the GBL img as 'd' and the Mechwarrior 2 .cue file (not DOS, Pentium Edition .cue, possibly the problem?) img as 'e'
-m\Mounting the 'e' drive with the Mechwarrior 2 img as '-t cdrom'

Any help would be appreciated, I would love to play Ghost Bear's again :)
Jade Falcons FTW
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: [GBL]An interesting DOSBOX install problem

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Basically for the GBL install you need to use something like Daemon Tools.
In another words for that install and for the install only you need to have the emulated drive mounted.
When it asks for a different disc you would then switch it to MW2.

After you do that I think you press ctrl + f4 and it refreshes the drives so that the new disc will be detected.
It might be a different key but if i remember correct then that is accurate.

When you finish then you mount the cue file like you normally do.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Dan Pyre
I.S. Baby

Post by Dan Pyre »

Would you mind giving me exact instructions on how to do that? I do have daemon tools light installed, as well as .cue files for both of them. How does the DOSBOX know which 'drive' my cd is in? Can I change how it detects the CD-ROM 'drive'?

Edit: I am using Windows 7, is there an alternate 'refresh drive' key? I just did ctrl + f4 and it closed this webpage on me!
Jade Falcons FTW
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Ctrl + f4 works only in dosbox to refresh stuff. If you did it in a browser yes, it will close a tab, and alt + f4 would close the browser entirely.
There is no other key that will do this in dosbox.

What you need to do is mount the .cue in daemon tools then in dosbox you mount the drive letter like you did the hard drive.
mount D "DRIVE LETTER"

go to the D: drive and install the game.

After you are done with the drive then you would go back to the normal imgmount commands that you have seen in tutorials.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Dan Pyre
I.S. Baby

Post by Dan Pyre »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Ctrl + f4 works only in dosbox to refresh stuff. If you did it in a browser yes, it will close a tab, and alt + f4 would close the browser entirely.
There is no other key that will do this in dosbox.

What you need to do is mount the .cue in daemon tools then in dosbox you mount the drive letter like you did the hard drive.
mount D "DRIVE LETTER"

go to the D: drive and install the game.

After you are done with the drive then you would go back to the normal imgmount commands that you have seen in tutorials.
Hm. It seems my Daemon Tools drive is labeled as 'D:' however, I cannot mount d as 'D:' because DOSBOX claims 'the directory does not exist.' I'll keep trying different combinations.

EDIT: Got it! You have to mount C: first as your install drive, THEN mount d "D:\ -t cdrom"

Drive D: must be your GBL.cue img!

Thanks, this is great! I appreciate it a lot!
Jade Falcons FTW
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Post by saracen16 »

I used MechVM to install MW2 GBL, then made an image of my GBL copy, mounted it via DOSBOX, and played it as if I was playing 31st CC or Mercs on DOS.