Mechwarrior 2 Softkey Version

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
jailhousews
I.S. Baby

Mechwarrior 2 Softkey Version

Post by jailhousews »

I know the softkey version is listed as a "rip-off" but it's the one I already have laying around the house. I did order a copy off ebay which I THOUGHT was a 95 version but it turned out to be a IBM 1.0 cd, DOS only.

I've already installed and played the DOS version on Dosbox. I would prefer, however, to play the 95 version included on the Softkey CD because it looks much better than DOS and I'm not really fussed about there not being any music.

The problem is, I can't figure out which install method I'm supposed to use for the Softkey CD! Can someone please enlighten me?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mechwarrior 2 Softkey Version

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

to play the 95 version included on the Softkey CD because it looks much better than DOS
Hate to tell ya but the DOS and 95 vanilla versions look exactly the same. The only difference really between the two is the DOS version can get 1024 resolution while the 95 version can only get 640 x 480.
Only titanium/battlepack/enhanced 95 editions look different than the DOS version.
The problem is, I can't figure out which install method I'm supposed to use for the Softkey CD! Can someone please enlighten me?
Use Solution 2-4. Each way will have a similar outcome. The hook is probably the best method out of those though.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
jailhousews
I.S. Baby

Post by jailhousews »

Hate to tell ya but the DOS and 95 vanilla versions look exactly the same. The only difference really between the two is the [95] version can get 1024 resolution while the [DOS] version can only get 640 x 480.
Yes that's what I meant. 1024x768 resolution looks a lot better than 640x480. It's easier to aim when things aren't extremely blocky and objects far away simply disappear. Thanks, I will try some methods out and report back.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

no, what i posted was correct.. 95 can only get 640 x 480, but dos can get higher res.. titanium can get 1600 x 1200 if hacked, but vanilla versions can only get 640 x 480
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Can't test whether it will work now, but you may get 1024x768 if you extract the attached archive to your MW2 folder, overwriting files.
Attachments
test.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 403 times