CBT Kufstein Maze Scenario Pack

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

CBT Kufstein Maze Scenario Pack

Post by LordNova2 »

As some of you already know I am working on a little project to try and turn the old NetMech map "Kufstein - Maze" into a map and scenario for CBT (Classic BattleTech).

So far the map itself I belive to be completed. I have to apoligize for the main preview's file-size, I wanted to make sure people got a good preview of the map, the full sized image is about 44x36" at 172DPI (7550x6146px), But i have down-sampled this one to 50% of its size.

I am posting a preview of the map up for any thoughts or changes on it from the Mech2.org community.
I have also posted a comparison map that has the CBT map overlayed on the NetMech map, this map is to show how things tourned out when trying to work with the CBT grid-system. (the Green overlay is the CBT map)
To actually get it to line up better with the CBT grid system i would have to go with a larger CBT map, however i already have it as the size of 2x2 CBT map-sheets, so it is already plenty big.

Eventually I am going to make some printable counters of rough-hexes for players to randomly place on the map.
I want to get to more of a final draft of the scenario and rules before I post them. I should have something fairly presentable here in a day or two.

Map Preview(4.3MB)
MW2 to CBT comparison Map(115KB)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: CBT Kufstein Maze Scenario Pack

Post by Skyfaller »

Looks nice. While Kufstein is a desert map, you might want to add some rivers, lakes or brushes to make it look more interesting. I see no need to stick to Kufstein's layout too strictly.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Yea, i was trying to use the actual map as a highly sugestive guide to ware the canyons should be to give it a rather familure territory to those who have played the map in MW2.
I can look into seeing what i can do about placing in a little bit of watter and brush. Would it make more sence to lay most of the canyon out as a vast river-system?

I have been looking over the map and i have noticed an error, hex 1221 should be clear (i goofed and made it as lvl4).
I have also been thinking about clearing hexes (1722 or 1821) and possibly (0813 or 0914) as well.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

A river canyon system sounds more like an idea for a new map - rivers improve cooling, but slow down movement (MW2 does not simulate these effects). Map set #4/Map Set Compilation #1 seems to contain river delta maps, but not canyons and lakes.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

i dunno if you want to ask some of us for opinions

people like mmpd will say add bridges so they can DFA easier :P

(jk btw)
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

I sat down and looked at complementing some rivers into the map, it just did not look right with any river in it. However I am currently playing with the lakes idea, which is looking allot better. Now I just need to get the lake itself to look right for water (forgot how I did that about a year ago with the King of The Hill maps).
I still need to do something that will look nice for some shrubbage.

Yea, there were not as much rules that CBT had published and was readily available during the production of MW2 that Activision never got into. For most of their general rules they would have "The BattleTech Compendium" FASA1640 (printed 1990), which had a good majority if not all of the level 2 rules and technology. Most of the level 3 stuff did not start coming out until the late '90s.

I think the only canyon style maps are the Box Canyon maps. Which is a two-map canyon that for the most of it make a big straight canyon. Which I enjoy using Box Canyon since it often forces players to confront each other up close, however you do get a few that manage to get on top of the canyon and start picking away targets at a long distance.
And you do not see much for plateau style terrain either in the map-sets :) Which is another thing on my to-do list.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

OK, I am now posting up an preview of what the map looks like now. I have added in a small lake area by the Brain Caches, along with some schrubury here and there that are considered the same as "Light Woods", and added in the rough hexes. So it should not look so plain as before.

I also have managed to finish up a rugh draft of the rulebook for the scenario.

Map Preview(4.3MB)
Rules Draft(440KB)
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

OK, I now have a final draft to the scenario rules.
Are there any thoughts or sugestions upon the rules in the final draft?

Rules Final Draft(498KB)
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

one problem

if you are using Total Warfare....Zellbrigen was thrown out the window a long time ago. the IS were deemed to be barbarians.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Wasn't the mission intended to be Clan vs Clan in Net Mech? I was not actually sure what to put down for a specific date so I used November 3057, it sounded rather good to fit in with allot of the existing storyline and timeline in CBT.
But if it was all clan, I would belive that they would all conform somewhat to rules of zellbrigen, which consides with what was stated in Total Warfare, just that each clan would take a differant stance on how they uphold the Clan Honor System. TW just made some clarifacations on what the rules are how to use them and how to conform by them in a roleplaying aspect of CBT.

If I remembor correctly (to the novels/storyline) they still use Zellbrigen against each other, it was dropped half way through the invasion when the Inner Sphere did not conform to the rules and rituals of batchals and zellbrigen (among several other resons), along with the fact that they were facing mercs, who are at the top of the Clan's scum-bag list.

However the true spirit of the Net Mech game was a free-for all melee with a touch of general player mandated honor to the game. Mostly what i remember from the old days, besides no cheating, no legging and no firing upon shutdown mechs.

This reminds me that I almost forgot to add a list of clans to the rulebook.
I am looking at:
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Daimond Shark
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Nova Cat
Clan Smoke Jaguar
Clan Steel Viper
Clan Wolf
Clan Snow Raven (as a filler for eight players)