MW4 For Free... Finally

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Archon
House Liao Private for Life

MW4 For Free... Finally

Post by Archon »

Looks like they FINALLY got clearance to release MW4 for free. There was probably another thread on the original news release, but I'm faaaaar too lazy to go searching :mrgreen:
Last edited by Archon on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: MW4 For Free... Finally

Post by LordNova2 »

Wow, that took a long time to happen!
I thought I read that the free coppy was suppose to be sporting the new MP4 they were working on.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Hmm, aperently it is not so 'free'. After DLing and installing it it keeps asking me for Disc 2 of MechWarrior IV Mercinaries. :/
Not that I don't have the discs, but I was under the impression that you did not need a store-bought copy to play.
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

Think of it as preloaded content that awaits activation. You just have to wait a bit longer. If you read over at Mektek, they're planning to release a patch to activate it soon.

I think the fourth mekpak might be interesting too, though the free version ships with 3.1. It depends if the new features make up for my disinterest in the MW4 engine.
Archon

Post by Archon »

I'd imagine you're having troubles installing the free MW4 because it's not released yet. I don't know what you've been downloading, maybe MP3.1?
LordNova2 wrote:Hmm, aperently it is not so 'free'. After DLing and installing it it keeps asking me for Disc 2 of MechWarrior IV Mercinaries. :/
Not that I don't have the discs, but I was under the impression that you did not need a store-bought copy to play.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Yea that is what it appears to be is MP3.1. I guess they did not relay go into detail on their MTX newsfeed about that. Last time I read anything is they were waiting on the OK to press that "shiny green button" and distribute MW4 for free. I thought I read else ware earlier that the free copy was to be distributed with MP4 pre-loaded.
And now being that they are still working on MP4, it does make me wonder how much of the actual game engine they are going to try and modify/change.

I would have to assume that they are trying to do some heavy modifications in MP4 to the actual game engine itself, since the announcement of MP4 has been out for quite some time. I know I seen a little add on MekTek's site for it when I finally got out of MW4.
One of the bigger discouragement for MW4 was the MekPacks, every time one came out you had to relearn the game three times. Once for the initial release of the new MechPack, another for the bug-fix, and a third for catering to the whiney league players. The other big discouragements for me was that new-comers to the game had to stumble across MekTek's site to find the new patches so it was hard for clans to grow bigger with the same old players. And the fact that everyone had changed over to pop-tarting.
Of course we have the typical complaint about it being drabbed down to a simple arcade version with downgraded graphics from MW3 even. But I have been always hoping that it should jump back into more of the sim style of CBT as seen in MW2 and MW3.
Dr.Giggles
I.S. Baby

Post by Dr.Giggles »

Arrrrrrrg still figuring out how to install this guy.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

First of all you need to download and install MTX (http://www.mektekdev.com/site/index.php ... &Itemid=96).
Then after installing it and starting it up, click on "Games Available", and you should see at the bottom half of the screen MechWarrior4: Mercinaries and Assault Tech1: BattleTech. Go ahead and click on MechWarrior4: Mercinaries and hit download, it will automatically start downloading the game and install it once the game is downloaded.

It kinda reminds you of the Steam application.
Archon

Post by Archon »

It's finally out :mrgreen: , but their servers are down! :lol:
Archon

Post by Archon »

Since their site is down (and along with the game servers), you can grab the torrent here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AL579RW9

Although the mektek tracker is down, DHT & PE located a solid 260/1000 s/l, and I got a pretty good download rate going. You can also try adding these trackers

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce

The .mtk file requires their MTX launcher/downloader/whatever-the-hell-it-is to open it, but this is just a renamed zip file. Just rename it and you're all set to go.

This is more for just impatient people who don't wanna wait for their download. I know I gon be ready to play once the server is back up