What do you think of a League for NetMech?

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

What do you think of a League for NetMech?

Post by LordNova2 »

I was looking over this little NetMech Tournament deal Skyfaller had put together and got me wondering...
How many old MW2 players out there would be interested in firing up a league for MW2?
I do not think this community is large enough to do something large and extravagant like NBT or MWL. But I was thinking for starters perhaps a simple little 1v1 ladder.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: What do you think of a League for NetMech?

Post by Skyfaller »

That sounds very interesting. Do you have a link to rules that this type of game uses?

We have been discussing alternatives for another round of the tournament, including an Inner Sphere conquest, where NetMech or MercNet matches decide whether a faction conquers a region of space.

Comments are welcome.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

That sounds interesting, correct me if I am wrong, but what your suggesting is like a planetary league but instead of doing something as complicated as counting each individual planet we are looking at the minor territories in each faction? (see the picture below for an example)

I guess for the 1v1 ladder we could implement something like a systems ware each player gets 1 point for each kill, -2 for each suicide. Sort of based off the score-board in NetMech or MercNet. Sort of like the MNL rank advancement ladder setup.

Have each player in a rung of every 10 points, making them 10 to 100 for 10 rungs, each rung reflects the maximum amount of tonnage the players can use. A player can challenge anyone from their rung up to 3 rungs higher. You add the rungs together and divide it by two for the maximum tonnage that can be used by each player in the match.
(So for example a player from rung 30 challenges a player from rung 60. 60 + 30 = 90 / 2 = 45 Tons, so each player can use a mech that weighs up to 45 Tons for this match)

Victory condition, the player at 5 kills wins the match; given that they are two points ahead of the trailing player including all -2 scoring for suicides. If there is not a 2 point difference between are not they continue on until one player is two points ahead of the other.
The victor gets to claim the total of his points (all kills are +1 and all suicides are -2). The looser of the match will get to claim 1/3 of his total points rounding down (all kills are +1 and all suicides are -2).
So for an example lets say match ended at 7 to 5 total points, the victor gets to claim his full 7 points as a final score, the looser gets 1/3 of his 5 points (5 x 0.33 = 1.65, rounded down to 1 point) so the looser gains a total of 1 point as a final score.

If the game is becoming too lengthily to try and find a victory condition, both players can agree to call the match a draw after a player reaches 20 points (? 15-20 somewhere around there I would imagine). If a draw is called each player will only receive 1/3 of their total points rounding down for their final.
Attachments
territorry.png
territorry.png (62.67 KiB) Viewed 35622 times
JEDI
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by JEDI »

I think this is a great idea. I've been thinking about this for a while. What if we were to incorprate some of the game play that we have with astronest into this game? The planetary systems and conquoring worlds. It would add a intresting twist to the game. I'm shure we would have a bit more people addicted. Look at how addictive astro empires is right now !

Its too bad that we couldent use Living legends in this, so if a planet battle was on a aestroid you could battle on the aestroids. Even mod lvl's for each planet. Too bad mech2 is such a bag to mod in.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

@LordNova2: I wanted to start the conquest with a 3050 map, but the data I found contains only the major factions, not their districts, so the map above could be helpful. May I ask where you got it? Also, I would have to cut some factions into districts, most notably the Free Worlds League, and I am not fluent enough in BT history to tell all important planets in each faction from the less important ones.

@Jedi: What kind mods would you like for MW2? I'm sure you are aware of our modding section.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

That is the Columbus Cartography Map Circa 3050. And the thin black lines/dotted lines inside each of the houses should be the "districts" your thinking of. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... q3pF7jXblg)
Yes the FWL would almost have to be re-arranged for this, I do not think it would be too big of a deal to do though. I do not think too many people would be all that picky about creating some custom districts/ones for a planetary style map of the IS., same thing with the Periphery states as well, might need to divide some of them up to 3-5 pieces.
I have to look around on my HDD, I should have a map of the IS with the districts and their name, ah it is on the side of the SLDF Cartography maps!
Attachments
3050-District-Map.gif
3050-District-Map.gif (74.62 KiB) Viewed 35596 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

IS Factions:
  • Lyran Commonwealth
  • Federated Suns
  • Draconis Combine
  • Free Worlds League
  • Minor IS Powers (Rasalhague, Capellan Federation, St. Ives Compact, Outworlds Alliance, Taurian Concordat, Magistry of Canopus, Marian Hegemony, Rim Collection)
Attacking Clans:
  • Clan Wolf
  • Clan Jade Falcon
  • Clan Ghost Bear
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar
Each faction has a designated leader or Khan, but may consist of several players. I don't think there would be enough players to reflect additional Clans. I'd like to know who would like to fight for which faction. I would be interested in playing for Clan Ghost Bear.

IS forces starts with 3025 tech, but may acquire 3050 level tech once the game starts. Each player gets 5 Million C-Bills each round for each district it controls. Each faction may attack a neighbouring faction on a single district every round. The winner takes the district, but both sides may withdraw to cut their losses. If a match does not take place within a week, the attacker wins, but ties go in favor of the defender.

We will have to work out additional rules as we continue to prepare this. I propose to keep unit listings for each planet visible to everyone, so that everyone may check them, otherwise I would have to do gamemastering on a level that would prevent me from participating.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Cool! Sounds like a very good idea. Might also be able to draw people from MekTek or other places to our site.
JEDI wrote:... if a planet battle was on a aestroid you could battle on the aestroids. Even mod lvl's for each planet. Too bad mech2 is such a bag to mod in.
I actualy tried to mod a map to where it looked like an asteroid field. ...didn't turn out too well, but was interesting.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

I would be interested in Clan Wolf myself.

Sounds like a great start for a planetary league. I do have a few questions for you Skyfaller:

Just out of curiosity, why the tech-base?
I never really gave it too much though, but I suppose we could start it out in say 3025ish and let it run for awhile letting the Inner Sphere factions re-arrange themselves a little bit, as well as let the clans do their little thing (possibly one clan absorbing another, who knows what fun we could get into, LOL). And then when everyone thinks they got the hang of things, we open up the flood-gates by calling it year 3050 letting the Clans invade the Inner Sphere .

For starts would it be best to just do strictly the Inner Sphere and the invading Clans for now?
(Lyron Commonwealth, Federate Suns, Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League, Free Rassahague Republic, and Cappellan Confederation) and for the clans (Wolves, Falcons, Ghost Bears, and Jaguars).
I guess I am thinking of trying to start it out rather small since we most likely will not have enough players to effectively man all units.
But yes, after things get rolling I would expect to see the Periphery States, more clans, mercenary units, and even pirate factions.

How long is a round?

How does this sound; Each IS player (I assume you meant faction here since 5M C-Bills is allot for just one player) gets 5 Million C-Bills each round for each district it controls, and each Clan player(faction?) gets 1 Million Kerenskies (or KEs) each round for each district it controls?
Yes there is a clan currency called Kerenskies, but since there is no direct trade between the IS and the clans it's estimated to be worth about 5C-Bills for 1KE (which works out nicely for this number). But it could work out horribly if you did mean players, Kerenskies are strictly to only be handled by the Merchant class, anyone in clan society not of the merchant class caught with this tender on them will be convicted of black-market racketeering. I just figured I would throw in a little bit of BattleTech lore for ya ;)
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Oh this almost slipped my mind! The Succession Wars boxed set FASA-1612, I have not gotten to sit down and play it but it looks like a cross-breed of Monopoly and Risk, and you play house lord... Has anyone here seen what a 1M, 5M, 10M, and a 20M C-Bill denomination looks like yet? PICTURES.
Now ware as I at with this? Oh yea, but what is nice about this game is it has a board (not really a board it is more of a poster) that gives us a map of the Inner Sphere with some nice territorial boundaries to work with, They do not reflect so much upon the "Districts" as we discussed, as much as they do "Regions" (planetary systems I think?). This would also appear to be a listing of the more significant planets/territories we were looking for. Here is a digital remake of the board I came across, THE SUCCESSION WARS MAP, we could easily rework this map for our own uses in the league. It would not be too hard to re-work the map getting it to look more 3050 era by sneaking in the FRR, the territories are set up nicely to do this.
In case you are wondering what those numbers in each territory means they are the available resources that you can collect off of for taxes at the end of each round, each number is in millions of C-Bills (for example New Avalon has 4, which means the owner of that territory collects 4M C-Bills at the end of each round). So we could implement this system as well for territorial commerce.

I had a brain fart with your suggested level of income back there, LOL. I had a few decimal places off in my head for what Mechs cost. for some reason I had them in the thousands.