GOG Countdown Revealed: It's Activision!

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Sapphire Wolf

GOG Countdown Revealed: It's Activision!

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Activision
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/GOG ... o_Life/_/1
The secret of the GOG countdown has been revealed: Activision, the world's biggest publisher, has hopped on the bus.

GOG has been awesome since it launched in 2008, with a library of cheap, DRM-free videogame classics that's been growing steadily ever since. But there's awesome and then there's holy frikkin' awesome, and this deal with Activision and its huge library of great games is most definitely the latter.

The Activision deal launched with two great games: The Troika RPG Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura, originally released in 2001, and the 1993 Sierra adventure Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. Both games are selling for $5.99 with extras like hi-res wallpapers and forum avatars, and as usual are tweaked to run without hassle on modern hardware and operating systems.

The addition of Activision is exciting because of the potential wealth of new (old) games it brings to the party: Sierra classics like the King's Quest series, gems like Interstate 76, the Vampire: The Masquerade games... I could go on, but you get the idea. With everything from Homeworld to the Mechwarrior and Quake games marching under the Activision flag, this deal has the potential to be absolutely huge, for GOG and gamers alike.
So that (possibly) means... no need to buy Mw2 from sites like amazon or ebay until they put it up on GOG!
And the games on GOG cost like around $5.99 for download
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: GOG Countdown Revealed: It's Activision!

Post by Skyfaller »

Very interesting, thanks for posting this!

If they rerelease MW2, I wonder which edition it will be, and with what changes. I had no idea.

Even more interesting given the fact that MW4 is announced to be released for free ...
GungraveDan
I.S. Baby

Re: GOG Countdown Revealed: It's Activision!

Post by GungraveDan »

Well Activision has come and went on GOG and alas no Mechwarrior products. But for those of you that appreciate other really fantastic fames of that era go buy and download Freespace 1 and 2. Fantastid titles! I had my fingers crossed too for MW2 or GBL or MW3. Sigh...