MechWarrior Rebooted

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
mako
I.S. Baby

Re: MechWarrior Rebooted

Post by mako »

i saw this coming, but i'm still giddy about the news. can't wait to co-op my way through the campaign.
Archon
House Liao Private for Life

Post by Archon »

Thought they'd be heading back to the early 3000's. Simpler storyline, less tech = less confusing, etc. Sure am getting tired of all this Davion nonsense. At least Kurita is up in the mix, albeit as the other side.

That Atlas sure does look sexy though.

Guess I'll have to rep House Liao online this time around :mrgreen:
Hank
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Hank »

I'm interesting on how the controls will work on both platforms as well as if they continue with the idea for cross platform multiplayer, very interesting.
Magnus
I.S. Baby

Post by Magnus »

Read the Smith and Tinker interview (link is at the beginning of this topic). I'm really impressed they decided to go this route and let the fans know so much so soon. I think you are also right Skyfaller... lets hope this puts some serious pressure on the publishers. :D

"Russ Bullock: We feel confident obviously in the PC and its control scheme that can be realized because it's been done before. But for the Xbox 360, we've spent a lot of thought and a lot of time in playing around with the controller and finding ways to give the same level of control in the way that you throttle, in the way that you turn and move, use your jump jets, and everything that gives you that MechWarrior experience that doesn't turn it into a power-up pickup sort of arcade style game. So that is something that we're spending a lot of time on – all the answers aren't there yet, but we want to make a MechWarrior experience and we feel like we can do it both on the 360 and the PC.

IGN: Right, so there was definitely no discussion to having a more arcade-like feel for the console? There was always a decision to keep it as a balance of action and simulation for both platforms?

Jordan Weisman: Yeah, I think that MechWarrior was kind of the PC's first big action title, and even if you go back to MechWarrior 2, it certainly had sim aspects, but the sim component wasn't so overwhelming that it became inaccessible. We want to walk that line as well, that it's an action sim as you said, not a sim with action."

...really, that is all i needed to hear :D

As far as concerns of accessibility and mainstreaming the game it sounds like the developers are trying to work to flesh out many aspects of the mechwarrior series that haven't been touched on. When they say "reboot" they seem to be stressing more of a "let's start the story from chapter 1". Lets face it... mechwarrior really never did that to begin with as the game most of us first played was either mech2, mech3, or mech4; pretty much all of which are (or pretty much) post-3050. To be fair, it still isn't really the "beginning" of the story, but definitely in the beginning of what most of us are familiar with: the height of the Succession Wars.

Honestly, i would be cool with a "Fall of the Star League" storyline culminating in Kerensky's Exile... and maybe a nice little fan service ending with the creation of the Blue Star Irregulars... that would be a bitchin' storyline.

Look it up:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Aleksandr_Kerensky

They also seem to be taking a similar position in character development to that of Mech4 Vengeance. While i wasn't thrilled by mech4s story, I'm hoping they bring something more dynamic to the table... some form of nonlinear storyline would be welcomed, but it needs to be more than simply 3 different rather boring endings.

One thing I am REALLY loving that they mentioned is 4 player CO-OP through the main campaign! YOWZAH! Now we are talking. A lot of people are freaking out with all the Gears of War and Call of Duty references in their interview but I see it more as comparisons of great multiplayer experiences than "another mechassault clone". It is my understanding this game is to be developed for the PC and will be PORTED to the xbox... not the other way around. I think they have user content in mind.

They also specifically stated they want to introduce a sort of RPG element of earning skills in a specific mech class and making every mech from 20 tons to 100 tons viable in combat as a result. I think this is a great idea although if I get schooled in my heavy mech by a Locust i am going to be pissed. :lol: Thankfully, they don't seem interested in introducing any non-canon weaponry or mechs, but they are bringing back the circa-3025 "unseen" mechs borrowed from Robotech. It is my own personal hope to finally be able to pilot my customized Shadow Hawk, Archer , and Battlemaster --->:geek:<---

A conquest mode has already been hinted at for multiplayer. Who knows what they have in store, but it definitely appears these guys are all fans of the original source material and we can safely expect more loving care than what M$ gave it (i hated Mechassault since day 1 not because it was a really bad game, but it felt like MS had butchered the franchise).

Ok... I need to stop before I go critical. :lol:

Bottom line... IF WE WANT THIS GAME TO BE AWESOME, AS FANS OF THE SOURCE MATERIAL, WE NEED TO GIVE THE DEVELOPERS OUR WRITTEN SUPPORT NOW WHILE IT STILL MATTERS:
http://www.smithandtinker.com/contact/
Magnus
I.S. Baby

Post by Magnus »

Pepsi-Wolf wrote:I must say the Warhammer Pilot in the video puts Warhammer Fans to shame -- although the Atlas Pilot certainly should have taken him much quicker with its short range advantages (AC-20, Various Lasers, etc..)

I never really agreed with Machine Guns in the Battletech universe. I mean to me, since Ferro Armor is so tough, the Mgun ammo has to be a very big caliber to penetrate that Ferro Armor. Kinda like taking a rifle that fires a 5.56mm round and expecting it to penetrate through a tank.
At any case, I like how the bullets were hitting the Atlas
The MGs on a battlemech were always seen mostly as anti-personnel weapons, but were still somewhat effective against more lightly armored targets. I don't know what caliber they use, but i do know they are still bigger than any MG a person could carry. Still firing MGs at an Atlas is pretty much just a panic move (he looked pretty panicked). He would have been wiser to get some more distance on his target.

Battletech anecdote:
In the pen and paper games, MGs actually got bonuses against infantry. In the 3rd and 4th succession wars, mechs became rare enough that infantry and vehicles became the more common threat. Also, heat management on mechs became more difficult with degraded technology. Hence... MGs became cheap and relatively useful SECONDARY weapons. In later years, MGs were used sparingly as only anti-personnel defense. Some mechs, however, were fitted with nothing but MGs. Due to high rate of fire and massive amounts of shrapnel as a result, MGs were more likely to find gaps in armor plating and would occasionally cause critical damage to internal components. In the pen and paper games as well as the canon material, a light mech with 12 MGs only needed 1 ton of ammo (200 rounds for the pen and paper games, but in reality would have been far more) and was very, very scary stuff at close range.