Wolf Missions - Pyre Light & Scorching Sand

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Wolf Missions - Pyre Light & Scorching Sand

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I know the answer to this before I post it, but I always try and post this topic anyway because there is no definitive answer.

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE THE TERTIARY OBJECTIVES?!?!?!?!?!?? (Shouting intended)

I have been looking for a few years now, for any leads on these objectives. The most common answer which I lean to myself, is that they do not exist in these missions despite the fact that it is an objective.

Anyone have any new leads?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
evilperson86u
I.S. Baby

Re: Wolf Missions - Pyre Light & Scorching Sand

Post by evilperson86u »

Is it the first mission on the falcon or wolf? If so, don't feel bad I looked too. I can't find it, but I used to have the Strategy Guide and it said it was at so and so.... but I think there wrong. Anyone know were it is?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Wolf 1 yep.
Falcon though I can tell ya is behind a mountain, it is a nuclear reactor. :)
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
FIVE-one
I.S. Baby

Post by FIVE-one »

me too MMPD, but never found those. Look like some glitches.
By the Bloodnames of the Founders.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Okay, Radick, I may have your answer.
You are talking about the FIRST WOLF MISSION, correct? If so, finish that mission and look and see on the debreifing screen if the "tertiary" objective appears as "default-failed". If it says this, then THERE IS NO TERTIARY OBJECTIVE.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I have never seen "default-failed" on any of my runs. Are you sure this exists? Check out my run on youtube.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

You could, as one option, open the .PRJ with a hex-editor and retype the level's visibility range so you can improve your search. OR, you could open the .PRJ, and look at the list of all the objects/buildings in the level. If you DON'T see in the list of objects, a building or something you don't remember seeing in the level, IT DOES NOT EXIST.

P.S., there IS a tertiary objective "default-Failed" message on at least 1 level: the Falcon mission on planet Sudeten, where you defend the chemical plant.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Well, so far I am unable to verify your findings in the PRJ. :(
There is no "default" inside of the prj mentioned anywhere. FAILED is mentioned everywhere though, but nothing that would give off the hint of a predetermined failure.

I will check more into it tommarow.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

For the first Wolf mission, I assume that the partially destroyed mechs at the firebase should be completely annihilated to prevent the enemy from using them as spare parts. Although they cannot be destroyed, I would see their destruction as a worthy tertiary objective. Perhaps missing tertiary objectives were rated too unimportant to finish them in the usual chaos that must going on when a game is nearing publication. I'll keep believing that until somebody proves me wrong.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I don't think the mech debris counts as a tertiary objective because you can't target it (at least I don't THINK you can, the "Slug's-patch" version I'm using won't let me target the debris.) Anything that cannot be targeted is just another piece of the landscape. And I think you can only destroy targetable objects. So, that may rule the debris out (I wonder about the targetable firebase wreckage though...)
To answer your PRJ question, Radick, all mission contents should be listed in the file about 3/4ths of the way down in the scroll. I don't know, I'll help you by doing a little research myself.

If you are REALLY into this fiasco, you could Google up one of the game programers. But they may not remember after 15 years :P