Did they mispronounce Bannockburn in the game?

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
slickrcbd
I.S. Mech Washer

Did they mispronounce Bannockburn in the game?

Post by slickrcbd »

I'm curious, did the VA for the Bitching Betty mispronounce Bannockburn in the game during the mission "Mirror Cage" ?
I recently had a job interview with Walgreens at their Bannockburn, IL office.
There, on the phone I mentioned the name of the town, only to be told that it's pronounced "BAN-OCK-BURN", with the first syllable pronounced the same as what the mods did to that spammer who flooded the boards. However in the game it sounds like "BU-NOCK-BURN", with the first syllable sounding like what I put hotdogs or hamburgers on.
I have to say the game influenced me in how to [mis]pronounce the name of the town. I played the game in 1997 as it was bundled with my PowerMac 6500/300, I never visited the town until 2013, and I did not get corrected until 2019. So from 1997 until now I thought it was pronounced wrong because of MW2.

So, is it just a local pronunciation, or did they mispronounce it in the game?

Note that I'm most familiar with the Mac version, but I picked up the PC version of MW2 & GBL about 5 years ago give or take a year at a library "book sale". I didn't notice any difference in the sounds.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Did they mispronounce Bannockburn in the game?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

That is a good question really. I don't think I even ever thought about that. I always ignored most of the pronunciations of the game.

As for voices between games, I am pretty sure they all were the same across games except mercenaries getting a few more.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.