GBL mission - Underwater Strike

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Khorg
I.S. Baby

GBL mission - Underwater Strike

Post by Khorg »

Hi

Hopefully you don't mind me asking this in here.

There's a GBL mission I've been trying to pass for a while now, It's mission 14/17, an underwater mission on Thun. Essentially you start in a pre-configured Executioner, and walk down-hill underwater fighting a couple of Linebacker's, a Gargoyle, two batches of subs, then reach the final waypoint, where an Atlas/Vindicator/Raven power up in a cave.

I can get through the first mechs/subs unscratched, but when I get to the cave, as soon as I walk in, I get blasted by the Atlas (Raven doesn't help either).

You're unable to alter the mech you're in, it comes with two PPC's, two torpedo launchers (most of this unconveniently packed into the arms). It also has average speed, is quite big, no jump jets and little armour. The torpedoes move slowly to the point of being almost unusable, you can walk into them after they're fired if you're not careful. I've tried luring the mechs out of the cave into the open, but they just run into concave sections in the walls and get stuck. You can't really fire the torpedoes around the corner of the cave entrance as they just don't have the right amount of speed/manoeuvrability. Visibility in the cave is also pretty poor as the cave walls don't show up well on Enhanced Imaging.

Currently trying it on hard and somewhat stuck. I had a look for a GBL walkthrough, it gave this advice:
"Underwater Strike. You'll hate this mission. You'll want his planner death only after a year-long torture session. You'll want this planet obliterated from the Inner Sphere map and from your memories."

"The first 'mech you'll encounter will the Raven, and two or three PPC salvos should be enough to destroy it. Now head left to fight the Atlas. Pay attention, this Atlas has Pulse Lasers; fire the torpedoes at point-blank range as quickly as you can and then head for the last of them, the Victor. This 'Mech has a PPC in plae of the standard Gauss Rifle and Lasers in place of its SRM launcher, though if you defeated the Atlas you'll find the Victor pretty easy. "

The Raven/Atlas seem to bunch up together for me unfortunately, not that it matters as the Atlas is pretty tough on it's own.

Does anyone here remember this map or had any technique for getting past it? I know that sometimes harder missions stick in your head, I can still remember details of that Y-Wing vs Shuttles/TIE's mission in the original X-Wing. I'm contemplating turning the difficulty down to easy/medium, but thought I'd ask first.

thanks
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: GBL mission - Underwater Strike

Post by Skyfaller »

Hello Khorg,

Welcome to mech2.org!

You can use a different mech config in that mission if you replace the existing one. This is explained here. The file to replace is EXE00WTR.MEK. For designing the replacement mech, please use energy weapons only and a 95 engine, or your illusion of an underwater mission may break.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Unfortunately it has been a very long time since I have played that mission. I cannot give any advice on it really.
All I did in the past was keep trying until I got past in.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

What I can say for you is let distance and terrain work for you. Try shooting your torpedos at the mechs (before the cave), after they fire, travel either completely right or left, when they reload, repeat until they are destroyed. And for the submarines, use your PPCs. For the mechs IN the cave... well... I'd tackle the Atlas first, then work my way down to lighter mechs. Don't forget to let it all out when you do attack! :mrgreen:

If you still find it too hard, I can make a small hack for you if you want, you could use any mech or configuration. But like Skyfaller said, if you use anything greater than a 95 engine or anything other than energy weapons, you will lose the underwater feel.
Let me know if you want me to do that for you. :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Khorg
I.S. Baby

Post by Khorg »

Thanks guys

I'll turn the difficulty down if I have to before trying hacked mechs. The mechs/subs before the cave I have no problem with, will give it another go.

edit- actually while I'm here, which files do you need to copy in/out to replace/backup savegames? I've tried it before, but had varied luck. Is it the userstar.bwd and EN0xSTAR.BWD files? I think I just found the savegames from where I tried to finish MW2 with a firemoth on hard.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

MW2REG.CFG is the pilots data.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

in the Win95 version of GBL, the Executioner had Jump Jets.
If you know how to use directional Jump Jets, it makes the mission easy.

If you're not using win95 GBL (or maybe even dos), dare I say use the cheat code to give you JJs
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Pepsi-Wolf wrote:dare I say use the cheat code to give you JJs
I dare! Just hold down "ctrl-alt-shift" and type in "jumbo", then you'll have jumpjets underwater!
Beware though, as the mission on Thun has extremly low gravity.

oh, and Pepsi, looks like you too have become a star colonel! Congrats! :)
(I wonder if I have made Khan yet... :P )
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

the cheats are different for each version of mech2
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Nope, not even close kell.