Clan mech origins?

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Clan mech origins?

Post by Skyfaller »

I find it interesting how many of the Clan Omnimechs appear to be based on Inner Sphere designs:

Thor - Thunderbolt
Mad Dog - Archer
Timber Wolf - Marauder/Catapult, as noted in the Inner Sphere nickname "Mad Cat"
Dire Wolf - Stalker?

Rather than admit these origins, the readouts usually refer to a Woodsman mech, which to my knowledge was never published. Maybe because some of these mechs are now "unseen", meaning that they are published without original artwork. Not sure if the original Stone Rhino/Behemoth's configuration was ever published. Can you think of more mechs for this list?

Also, does anyone know how the Clans obtained the Jenner? It is a past-exodus mech, and may have been captured from ComStar Explorer Corps' ship Outbound Light, or through data sent back by Wolf's Dragoons.

And of course, there are the reworked Inner Sphere designs, like Warhammer, Marauder, Phoenix Hawk, and so on.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: Clan mech origins?

Post by Col.Kell »

Not sure if this has much to do with Clans... but there were some "IS" mechs that never were actualy in the Inner Sphere until the Wolf's Dragoons, an undercover group from Clan Wolf came on the scene in the begining of the 31 century.
Wolf's Dragoons article on Sarna wrote:...They were equipped with what the Clans erroneously believed to be a shabby lineup of outdated BattleMechs, supposed to make them appear as a wholly inconspicuous group. In fact, they possessed five regiments of pristine ’Mechs, including designs that were either essentially extinct in the Inner Sphere (such as the Flea, Falcon, and Hoplite) or had never before been seen there (such as the Imp and the Annihilator), complemented with likewise ... a subvariant of the Archer that was used exclusively by Wolf's Dragoons, the ARC-2W.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
chelestra
I.S. Mech Washer

Re: Clan mech origins?

Post by chelestra »

The stone Rhino (coined behemoth by I/S) appeared in the 2055 handbook, it apparently was a failed design who later got perfected by the clans, it was never operational in the I/S

Its interesting to note that the "Thor" was originally a star league era Wheeled artillery vehicle.....