3dfx vs DOS vs Titanium

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
thecrankyhermit
I.S. Mech Washer

3dfx vs DOS vs Titanium

Post by thecrankyhermit »

I've been trying to figure out how to create the "ultimate" MechWarrior II experience for all three games in it. First I was trying to figure out how to solve the problems with Titanium compared to DOS, but eventually settled for just using DOS. However, recently I've been reading about the 3dfx version, and information suggesting it's possible to run it in WinXP. I've only seen one set of screenshots comparing the three, and it was for MW2, but the 3dfx shots looked much nicer than the DOS shots, while being more faithful to the look than the Titanium shots. So I'm thinking that maybe the 3dfx version would be the ideal base for MW2, if I can find a way to run it reliably, and if it doesn't have any major problems. Anything I should know regarding this theory?

I have some Mercs questions too. I've read that for Mercs, the 1.10 patch will add Direct3D and 3dfx support to any version of Mercs - you don't need a special version. Is this correct? And if so, what's best, software, Direct3D, or 3dfx? And how does it compare to DOS Mercs? I'm guessing that since DOS Mercs is actually textured and shaded, the improvement won't be as profound as MW2 3dfx is. Is that also correct?

Finally, there's GBL. It's my understanding that there are only three options for GBL - DOS GBL, Win95 GBL (which is no different from DOS GBL except less stable), and Titanium GBL. Is this also accurate?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: 3dfx vs DOS vs Titanium

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Bottom line with the 3dfx is that it works but it is not stable.
You must if you want a 3dfx version purchase a copy off of ebay.
It requires a high end machine in order to work properly and does not look very good imo when emulated as compared to the card.
You need three things the hook, dgvoodoo, and the mw2shell.dll from slugs original patch.

Now as for mercs 1.1 in the 95 versions rarely works... it may work, but I have never gotten it to work myself.
Some people have however. Sorry I cannot provide details here other than to use the hook.. you will get a mechlab bug though probably.

As for GBL, you pretty much summed it up. :)
GBL DOS is the best out of the bunch.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.