MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Suddenly Announced

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Suddenly Announced

Post by Cyril »

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/04/ ... le-player/

During a panel at Mech_Con 2016, MechWarrior Online developer Piranha Games announced the return of the MechWarrior franchise to single player with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.

The announcement, over fourteen years after the release of the old and glorious MechWarrior 4: Mercenanries published by Microsoft Game Studios, will probably bring a smile to the faces of many veteran fans like me.

In MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries you will adopt the role of a rookie MechWarrior pilot thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere. Take contracts from the factions of your choosing and engage in tactical, first-person, PvE ‘Mech combat through an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the acquisition, maintenance, and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is being developed by a dedicated team at Piranha Games, and won’t interfere with the continued development of MechWarrior Online.

The game is set in 3015, and below you can read more of the setting if you’re not familiar with MechWarrior.

“Humanity has expanded to the stars, colonizing a vast region of space known as the Inner Sphere. Where the Star League once ruled in relative stability, generations of countless wars, alliances, and betrayals have divided the Inner Sphere into five distinct Successor States. These states, also known as the Great Houses, have fought and quarreled for centuries over the remnants of the Star League and control of the Inner Sphere. They are now in the midst of a Third Succession War, one which has been raging for almost 150 years.

While the battlefields of the Inner Sphere burn with an array of devastating weaponry, none is more formidable than the BattleMech. These immense fighting machines, piloted by elite fighters known as MechWarriors, dominate the wars of the future with enough firepower to annihilate entire cities.”

Together with the announcement, the developer released the first video, showing pre-alpha footage, and the first batch of screenshots. The game will release in 2018, with no platforms explicitly mentioned (but it’s presumably PC).

Piranha Games President Russ Bullock also clarified during the livestream that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be a full game and a single purchase, with no microtransactions attached. It’ll also be a fully dedicated single player game.
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Suddenly Announced

Post by Striker »

I watched the pre-alpha video. Voice acting was meh, but it looks as alright as what I would expect from MWO.

Still, I really hope they don't screw it up though. I can't imagine the team to be very large, and a development time of under 2 years seems like quite a feat for a small team. That, and PGI has a history of epic failings with their MWO game that simply makes me wonder if they can make the right design decisions in a single player game.

Oh, and they really need to get rid of the whole long sleeved shirt and pants mechwarrior avatar thing. It's supposed to be a steam room in the cockpit. :lol:
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

That looks impressive...voice acting is alright but that normally gets done near the end of development I'd imagine. I laughed at the payraise injoke.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

Essentially, it is a remake of the 1989 MechWarrior by Activision. But that's great, because I always loved the original. :D
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
EpicWarrior202
I.S. Baby

Post by EpicWarrior202 »

I'll definitely play it. I might even pay for it if it's good. Still, I won't be all too surprised if PGI finds a way to screw it up.