Changes or updates to the community

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
-Myg
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Changes or updates to the community

Post by -Myg »

This is an open discussion to the entire community; concerning what changes and directions would they like the site/group to go in the future.

I/we are open to any reasonable ideas and hope to improve mech2.org in the future.

Kindest Regards,
Myg

Cheers!
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Changes or updates to the community

Post by navbuoy »

Well for me, the Development section would benefit from concrete straightforward and possibly downloadable tutorials (not strictly editing info pages). The information is so scattered and criss crossed it took me a while to figure out what I needed. There is still some tidbits I feel like I am missing - but getting it all put together and published is a huge undertaking I know.

Other than that it's pretty quiet here...maybe a more colourful (less dated) website/page icon?
Madsonovich
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Madsonovich »

We need two large clickable objects on the front page: One to download netmech and one to join the IRC channel.

or

The website needs to be remade completely or a new site should be made parallel to this. The forum is a decent place to discuss things, but as navbouy said, it is rather difficult to find information. The site needs a more simple structure that is far easier to navigate, especially for new people.
Some examples for a easier-to-navigate design:
the homepage of MWO: it is very simple to find information on the game, start to play the game or even join the community. Most can be found on the large bar at the top of the screen.
NetStromHQ's webpage http://www.netstormhq.org/news.php. I can easily find where I can download the game, how to find a quide on how to setup the game or join the community. All information that is necessary for new players can be easily found.
Sadly, it appears that the netstorm community is suffering of the same as we are, the lack of new people...
!down
EventHorizon
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by EventHorizon »

I think we have two basic problems with the game. First, it's graphics really show it's age, I find them cool but I don't know about a new gamer. Second, MWO and even mech 3 and 4 trump netmech in their faithfulness to the original battletech game. Once again does not bother me because I started with mech2 and had only a small awareness of battletech at the time(actually the only reason I got into mech2 at all is that it came with my first computer). I want to try to show the appeal of advanced jump jets, even if that aspect is very different from battletech. I do really think that if someone could watch some of the matches that people on the forum have recorded it may get them excited and want to play the game. That's why I want to make a intro video showing action from the mech2 trilogy and also netmech.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

Maybe we could convince the MWO Forum to link to mech2.org, to get MWO players to get more into MechWarrior 2? I'm sure there would be a lot more active discussions and Netmech matches :)
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
EventHorizon
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by EventHorizon »

Good idea!
EventHorizon
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by EventHorizon »

Hello,

After talking to some people in the community, I have thought of a few things that might help if we want to get a game of netmech going on. I am only interested in at least a 2 on 2 so we need 4 people at minimum. First, we have the problem of time zone differences. 2 pm seems like a good time to me because Madsonvich in Finland would be at 9 pm and the west coast people would be at 11 am. We can move this around a bit if we need to. Second, it seems we may need to make the game 30 minutes(around that at least) so it does not distract from real life responsibilities as much. Finally, one of the biggest problems is we never know for sure who is going to turn up. I don't expect 100 percent commitment to something like a online game, but if we had a list of some sort of people that would like to come I think it could help. What I have been thinking of is, as Myg suggested, to form a facebook page for netmech. I have seen events been simply podcasts released on the internet so it should be no problem to set up a event for the game. With facebooks relatively new feature of saying interested instead of a absolute going or not going we can test the water out and see how many people may come.

Any input you guys have would be appreciated

Thank You
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

I think we need an advanced war reporter.
one that not only tracks the number kills but also kill times, dfas, accuracy, best dual team

as much information as possible about each fight
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Striker »

I am studying some web development on the side... so I might try to make a Mechwarrior 2 fan page in the not so distant future :mrgreen:

I do want to get netmech going again. Really what kind of worked before is just scheduling a time when we can all be on (weekends best).

And yeah, I think we need more easily accessible tutorials for getting the game working, and that will naturally create a bit more attention to this community. Most people I see online who are nostalgic about Mech2 still haven't a clue on how to get it working.

MechVM should be updated and tweaked slightly as well I figure.