Effectiveness of Machine Guns?

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Effectiveness of Machine Guns?

Post by Havokq3 »

Just today I have come to question whether or not machine guns are a worthwhile addition to a Mech.
=====Heat 0 Mass 0.25 Damage 2=====
=====Critical 1 Range 175 Ammo 200 =
The Machine gun fires about every 0.1 seconds, and does 2 damage per shot, which means that in 1 second, it can deal about 8 damage. And so, looking at the weapon's stats in 31st Century Combat, I feel that they might be a good choice, but I wanted others' opinion on the subject.
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Effectiveness of Machine Guns?

Post by navbuoy »

To me, I was thinking about this again recently, it's like death by a thousand cuts. Lethal is still lethal...some go large with PPCs and ACs and Gauss but multiple machine guns gives me a fiendish grin everytime I get bored and load up my mech with it. :)

Strategically, it saves on running hot and still provides a bit of sting while you let your beam weapons/chassis cool. Pointless on a fire support mech I guess :roll:
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Re: Effectiveness of Machine Guns?

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

A lot of people used Machine Guns in Class 4 games, on Mplayer (2x missile racks or ACs max, and unlimited laser+mgun). They do deal a lot of quick damage, but are severely limited in ammo and range.

In the battletech board game, mguns weren't used so much to lay out a ton of damage, but to be critical hit seekers (crit seekers), on exposed internal armor.
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus