Jump-Jet Recharge Times

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Jump-Jet Recharge Times

Post by LordNova2 »

We all know that faster CPUs cause the JJs to recharge slowly in MW2.
I know I have heard it ever since this issue came about that this caused by the MW2 engine using the cycles of the CPU somehow to time out the recharge rate of your jump-jets.

I have been pondering this over since the problem first came about. At the time, this seemed like a cleaver and dirty way to keep track of things by counting the timings. Up until this point in time new CPU speeds were not increasing by leaps and bounds. New CPU speeds didn't start taking off like a rocket until the late '90s.
But it seems to contradict all logic and is completely bass-ackwards. If it is basing the recharge rate off the CPU (or any other hardware timings), it should recharge faster not slower as our equipment gets bigger and faster.
When this game was first released most people had a 100-133MHz CPU, maybe 200MHz if we rocking the biggest badest hardware money could buy at the time, but to make things easy we are going to say it was calibrated for 100MHz. So logically if we go from a 100MHz to a 1GHz, the jump-jets should recharge faster, should be fairly close to 10x faster. However this is not the case, it goes slower. It should be like rendering anything else faster cycles = faster rendering time.

Has anyone managed to pick apart the game engine enough to explain in detail exactly what it is doing?
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: Jump-Jet Recharge Times

Post by Striker »

I only wish I had the know how to pick apart this problem. Of anything, this is perhaps the only major glaring bug with Mechwarrior 2. I remember when I started playing on a Pentium III that my jumpjets would not recharge and all, and had to resort to a CPU throttling program just to get it right.

I remember back in the Mercnet days that some people would load up flamers just to mitigate this issue. I suspect it may have something to do with frame rates, but I am not sure.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Re: Jump-Jet Recharge Times

Post by Havokq3 »

I have a relatively fast CPU, and the jump jets recharge pretty quickly. I wonder if we could experiment a little to see what does it.
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.