Nukes, what were they for?

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Nukes, what were they for?

Post by LordNova2 »

I remember having a little tool back in the day that allowed you to edit and create mech variants. This tool would also allow for you to make "hacked" mechs (mechs that were over-toned and over spaced). But it also gave you access to one other weapon that was not accessible in the game, and it was called a "Nuke". This Nuke was native to NetMech and MW2:31CC, otherwise the weapon and variant would not work in the game.
So what was this Nuke for? I do not remember encountering any mechs (or other units) in the game that was equipped with it. It had to have a function, as I sated before it was native to the game, and that means the programmers of MW2 and NetMech added it into the game, but for what?
EventHorizon
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Re: Nukes, what were they for?

Post by EventHorizon »

Could it be for stages that had a destruction wave emanate from a source? There were at least two such things in mw2
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

I do not think so as it was a missile based weapon, and fired a missile when you shot it. I know what your talking about though where there is a reactor in a MP map that if destroyed you have to GTFO it ASAP or you will get caught up in a huge blast of damage and heat that will wipe out anything in its radius, but the Nuke did not have this kind of heat and damage, it did some damage but did not have the blast radius and could not eliminate a fresh mech. It was more less a big missile like the Arrow IV in the later games.
Perhaps it was the Arrow IV, but then why call it a "Nuke"?
Is it possible to re-name the weapons on in a MEK file? That would make sense then, the guy who made the program stumbled across the Arrow IV in MW2:31CC and NetMech and not knowing what it was just named it "Nuke"?
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Hey I think I might have stumbled across something that gets slightly closer...
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mechres ... loadnf.htm
Scroll down and you will see a dead link to "Weapons Patch v3.12", it tells how it adds in the Nuke (but I do not remember having to get a patch for it to work).
I bet it was "Mech Edit" or "Mech Edit Pro", it rings a bell, but unfortunately they are all dead links too. :(
But Sarna has Mech Edit :) (http://www.sarna.net/files/info/program ... chedit.zip), have to get a VM up and running with windows 9x to get it working...
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Striker »

Not sure what they were there for, but I discreetly remember that editing .mek files does allow nukes.

I bet the developers probably had something planned for it, and then scratched it. Or it was a cheat code thing, because there was a cheat code for nuking. Interestingly enough, torpedos are in the game as well (at least I know it is for MW2: Mercenaries), and the only mission it showed up was the underwater level in GBL.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Mixing MEK files became rather interesting in the later builds of MW2. I remember with the BattlePack you could take your MEK files from CGB and put them into 31CC/NetMech and the weapons and components would function correctly that were only available in CGB (and later on Mercs).

The nuke cheat-code was more less a "destroy selected enemy mech" thing.

Has anyone here been able to pull apart and decipher the coding for MEK files? I know it was done back in the day, but unfortunately I am not having any luck finding anything left on the internet. I get rick-rolled more than anything trying to dig for that information, sad to see the all the old GeoCities sites go.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

My best guess is that the nuke weapon is an unfinished Arrow IV Artillery in 31st Century Combat, but maybe it had some other purpose, like a Dropship weapon?
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

in Derf (netmech map), and i think at least 1 single player mission, there is a (nuclear?) plant that you destroy and need to get out of the blast range. maybe the "Nuke" weapon was used to facilitate the explosion, and eventually used as the Arrow IV weapon in GBL/Mercs
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus