Favorite Mech Game

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Re: Favorite Mech Game

Post by Havokq3 »

Striker wrote:
LordNova2 wrote: Not to mention what they are charging for their digital content, at least when we paid for all these other MW games (good or not) we can still play them long after the developers have sold their rights to it and ended their support for the game, and if not we still have the physical media to the game to try and do something to make it playable again. Whenever PG goes belly up; that is it, all that cash you wrapped up in MWO is gone, no installation media, no servers left to connect to play it again with, not even a game box or installation disc left over to display on your shelf with the rest of your BattleTech collection.
Sorry to drone on about MWO so much, but it really sticks in my craw.
I read a thread on the MWO Forums today, where some people have confessed to spending literally in upwards of $1,000 USD for MWO digital content. I think I nearly fainted. The Devs at one point even charged $500 for a gold skinned mech packs, and while at the time I thought it to be the most incompetent/greedy business decision ever made, it seems a matter of fact that some people do actually spend this kind of money. I see people scattered across the forum who actually "pre-ordered" a $40 USD Urban Mech due to come out I think April... where the usefulness is questionable outside of beer can jokes.
Not only that, but you also have to pay hundreds of dollars on a PC that can even run the game..
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

THe Mechwarrior 2 games are and probably always will be the best Battletech games ever, unless the new game can beat them ;)
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Striker »

Havokq3 wrote:
Striker wrote:
LordNova2 wrote: Not to mention what they are charging for their digital content, at least when we paid for all these other MW games (good or not) we can still play them long after the developers have sold their rights to it and ended their support for the game, and if not we still have the physical media to the game to try and do something to make it playable again. Whenever PG goes belly up; that is it, all that cash you wrapped up in MWO is gone, no installation media, no servers left to connect to play it again with, not even a game box or installation disc left over to display on your shelf with the rest of your BattleTech collection.
Sorry to drone on about MWO so much, but it really sticks in my craw.
I read a thread on the MWO Forums today, where some people have confessed to spending literally in upwards of $1,000 USD for MWO digital content. I think I nearly fainted. The Devs at one point even charged $500 for a gold skinned mech packs, and while at the time I thought it to be the most incompetent/greedy business decision ever made, it seems a matter of fact that some people do actually spend this kind of money. I see people scattered across the forum who actually "pre-ordered" a $40 USD Urban Mech due to come out I think April... where the usefulness is questionable outside of beer can jokes.
Not only that, but you also have to pay hundreds of dollars on a PC that can even run the game..
Well, maybe a couple hundred. To be fair, MWO actually did not require much umph on a gaming machine to run. I had it going on an AMD A6-4400m, with an ATI 7670 chip laptop, which was pretty slow. It runs maxed out on my ancient Q8200 desktop with a ATI 6850 as well.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I still like Mechwarrior 2 Mercs the best...and even though MW4 Mercs was fun after beating it again yet after trying out MW3 - I realized how arcade-y MW4 feels.

I think gameplay wise MW3 got a lot of things right but the missing soundtrack and atmosphere are huge shortcomings. It's too bad that it was from Microprose - that was a name I always held in high regard back in my Commodore 64 days of simulation gameplay.

Thankfully, all this is pushing me into the checking out 'the roots' of Battletech and seeing what I missed out on... ;)
Last edited by navbuoy on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striker

Post by Striker »

I think as a simulator, MW3 nailed the feeling of driving around in a big mech better than anything out there.

But... I still prefer the gameplay and the atmosphere in Mechwarrior 2 (series)
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Striker wrote:I think as a simulator, MW3 nailed the feeling of driving around in a big mech better than anything out there.

But... I still prefer the gameplay and the atmosphere in Mechwarrior 2 (series)
Exactly!!!