Really basic Newb question re: Weapons

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Edmond Dantes
I.S. Baby

Really basic Newb question re: Weapons

Post by Edmond Dantes »

So, I installed Mechwarrior 2 (IBM PC CD-ROM release), patched it, fixed the technical issues I was having (turned out the game was seeing a joystick I didn't have. Once I disabled the joystick, it stopped crashing), and now I'm playing the game.

I'm wondering something.

When you fire weapons, is there a way to make it "lock out" certain weapons that you're trying to preserve?

Currently, my experience is this: When I'm fighting a mech (or anything), I aim and press the space bar a lot. I fire laser, laser, laser... missiles. Crud, I didn't want to fire the missiles. So now I press space for the lasers but try to keep an eye on the indicator to make sure the missiles aren't currently highlighted (and press Enter when they are, to skip them).

What I'm looking for is a way to "lock out" certain weapons so there's no chance of accidentally firing them in a heated moment. Is there such a thing, or am I honestly expected to keep a sharp eye on that indicator and manually skip the weapons I don't want fired?

I've tried configuring the cockpit controls but I can't find an option that controls this.

Thanks in advance.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Really basic Newb question re: Weapons

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yes, there is a way to have weapons groups. Press shift + 2, 3. I think it lets you have 3 groups maybe 4... basically highlight the weapon press the shift + 2 and it will go in a different group. repeat... If you press ' it will go to a different group. Drawback of grouping is you must do it on every launch as there is no way to save groupings.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Edmond Dantes
I.S. Baby

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Thanks. This has improved things considerably!

Now I need to look up a beginner's strategy guide... I keep dying on Trials of Grievance (I usually take down about 6-7 enemies before getting killed though).
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I would not worry Trial of Grievence everyone dies. I do not think that mode is winnable... or lemme put it i don't think i ever bothered going past 3-4 waves
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Edmond Dantes
I.S. Baby

Post by Edmond Dantes »

... A friend of mine suggested that very thing earlier, as a joke. It does seem true though (although I've noticed future waves are placed in advance, which makes me think it might be winnable after all).
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Sure to install the game you purchase it off ebay then run mechvm to install it. After that your good!