MW2 vs other mech games

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
Lag King
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

MW2 vs other mech games

Post by Lag King »

This Topic is for members to voice their opinions on games similar to MW2(including MW3 and MW4). I how do their fair to?
What do like about the game? What do you dislike? What would You improve?

I go first :

Earth Siege II
---------------
What I like about the game:

The addition shields makes energy weapons more unique from ballistic and missile weapons
The Passive Sensor is something that MW2 lacks it's simply useful.
I like the idea that over using energy weapons drains from supply of energy, seriously you weapons need some type of power supply
to power weapons. The game has pretty sweet energy weapons, some weapons are quite powerful destroying enemies easily, downside is they not only drain from supply quickly but they also make less salvage available for repairs and creating new weapons and mecha.
The Auto Turrent is very useful.
The commanding part of the game is better then MW2, more commands for field members and better AI

What I don't like:
Controls are not very friendly for non joystick users, also you can't config the controls.
Shields do make combat slower.
Strange that the Hercs never over heat despite the amount energy used by some of the weapons.
No Jump jets.
The game is boring on the lowest difficulty setting.
I feel the hercs for earth are have to much decal, they stick out to much, I would think they would be better with camouflage colors.

I still like Battletech mecha better then any ES mecha
No Multi player - Why couldn't Sierra implement a Multi Payer Option. ES2 and Terra Nova
are two games that would be great for multi play.

How would I improve:

Make the keyboard controls configurable
The game seriously needs a multiplayer
Use camouflage for herc color schemes
make shields weaker?
The Hercs should overheat
More Aerial Combat - The Razor is fun to fly (would be awesome to pilot in multi player), Make hercs that specialize in aerial and anti-air. There is nothing from what I can see wrong with design for the existing hercs ,other then lacking aerial capability, still the Battletech type mecha is simply cooler.

How does the game fair:
ESII to me seams to be pretty on par with MW2 (MW2 is little better). The game lacks some features (multiplayer in particular), on the other hand some of the concepts used are pretty cool would have been neat to see in MW2 (MW4 has some of the features such hardpoints and passive sensors). Mercs I like better then both games since fighting for pay is more fun then fighting for cause, plus you can choose the missions.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Re: MW2 vs other mech games

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

There are no other games that can compare to Mechwarrior series, ever. In the entire history of computer gaming.

Seriously,

Mechwarrior series is the only mecha type simulation game i've played

I did play the demo of Shogo
which was cool..
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

mech 2 was a sim,,,mech 3 and mech 4 were fancy FPS games
Lag King
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Lag King »

I suppose your right. I just meant that ES II is nicely put together, Sierra did a pretty good job with overall product. If any one recreated MW2 it neat to see some of my favorite features from ES II added to the development. Oh and the ability to crouch would be nice, helps big time with sniping. :mrgreen:
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

Cyril wrote:mech 2 was a sim,,,mech 3 and mech 4 were fancy FPS games

what would you say that made it a FPS game?
cause mech 2 was technically a FPS game then...
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

Lag King wrote:I suppose your right. I just meant that ES II is nicely put together, Sierra did a pretty good job with overall product. If any one recreated MW2 it neat to see some of my favorite features from ES II added to the development. Oh and the ability to crouch would be nice, helps big time with sniping. :mrgreen:

you could crouch in mw3

cant remember in mw4
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Sapphire Wolf

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

You can crouch in MW4.
Lag King
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Lag King »

Sort of think of it shields would probably not be a good idea in mw2, unless they were very light and use some sort of separate equipment instead being built in automatically like in ES II.
Yes you can crouch in MW4, but I hate the Zoom Feature (The Separate window is nice but the zooming seem fixed at certain ratio unlike MW2 is which is adjustable). I've only played the Trial version, but just recently ordered the full version, so can't completely judge MW4. MW3 never played and probably won't until the XP compatibilities get fixed. I hope their is speed boost add on like ES2 this would be cool. MW1 was pretty good on SNES, but I've never played the PC version , any significant differences other then graphics (graphics look better in the SNES version, but the terrain looks flatter)?