Ok, yea; your gonna be seeing me around the forums more...

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
-Myg
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Ok, yea; your gonna be seeing me around the forums more...

Post by -Myg »

Yea, its been a while; but I suppose im gonna be idling around here.

so...

Anyone want to try a hand at remaking mech2 from scratch?
-Myg

Re: Ok, yea; your gonna be seeing me around the forums more.

Post by -Myg »

Haha, I know what some of you are thinking; but wouldnt it be better if we gave the community something central to focus on instead of all these different side projects, which are cool; granted but only in the end serve to better do that: Remake mech2.

If we designed our own engine/system around the netmech prj files we could keep it clean and legal (but would make it multiplayer only).

Thoughts?
-Myg

Post by -Myg »

Holy crap this place is utterly dead :_(

I was hoping the little surge in IRC we had would rub off here, but it seems not.
Demonslayer
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Demonslayer »

its not really dead most of us are busy and i could help you remake a mechwarrior 2
FreelancerMar
I.S. Baby

Post by FreelancerMar »

Couple of Suggestions.

#1. If possable, it would be nice to see the compiled Mechs from all 3 mw2 titles playable in the remake.

#2. Also if possable, It would be nice to see a unified damage table. As it stands, for some weapons the damage table is all over the place. I have often wondered why, Post Mercs, they continued putting the autocannons in the game after nerfing them into uselessness.
LBX-10AC used to be a 1 Hit Kill against Elemental Battlesuits in 31cc and GBL. In Mercs it's a waste of space and tonnage.
-Myg

Post by -Myg »

Still weighing up the possibility/logic of a remake or something similar because MWO does have alot of potential at the moment and I think its healthier to keep the community focused on what exists and not what doesn't.

I tell ya what, if MWO takes a bad direction or something, we will start something; otherwise it would be best not to try and steal its thunder at the moment.

New games are good for the mechwarrior community, even the old hardcore one's like this.

The main reason mech2.org really exists is due to the fact that mechwarrior as a franchise has been ignored for soo long but with this new interest by developers; it means we don't have to worry about keeping the flame alive as much.

I have been playing the Beta quite a bit and I find it a very adequate replacement to my netmech urges.

Even if its IS equipment.
Demonslayer

Post by Demonslayer »

we can make a remake of mechwarrior 3,1 and 2 combined together on a blender engine
and try to make a fan version of the never completed Btech:GDL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZctvK8-N2w
and set it at the same time period as 3025 to 3060
and it could have these options
-selectable planets and missions for that planet (MW1)
or universal contracts (mw2)
-full customization (mw2 and 3) weapons can be balanced with a certain amount of it like only 8mls allowed and only 4 ppcs allowed
-beautiful levels (mw2)
-Myg

Post by -Myg »

Nah; Think persistant galaxy, whole planets, MW2 graphics, properly modeled clan system and battletech stats all around.

The interaction part of it would have to be based on MW2 and we would use most of the game assets from the netmech.prj file only.

The inherent usage of low polygons and very basic textures like the original mw2 had with mostly pallete filled terrain and enviroment would allow for huge view distances and lots of objects and also allow it to run on low spec PCs and phones.

It wouldn't be easy or quick to make, but it is what people want deep down. It was mechwarrior 2 that launched the franchise into the open and mech3/4 were all downhill dissapointments in comparison.
Demonslayer

Post by Demonslayer »

i agree but we dont have the source code and mechvm is really buggy at the moment
and we dont have proper map editors to add new missions
mechvm shell can be the mission/planet selector since we cannot add to campaign without dealing with trouble
-Myg

Post by -Myg »

Hey kid, relax; it aint happening now or anytime that is forseeable at the moment...

Best just charge the jets and learn to program in C or something in the mean time, or do some 3d modelling/etc.

When the time comes, it will come.