Getting started with MW4

Post up anything you would like to talk about here.
slickrcbd
I.S. Baby

Getting started with MW4

Postby slickrcbd » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:29 pm

I just picked up a box marked "Mechwarrior 4 Compilation" at the library "book sale" for $2.
I know the game has supposedly been released as freeware, but it was only $2 and benefits the local library.
Are there any must have patches or mods? It says "includes Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, Black Knight Expansion Pack, MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries".
Also, should I install everything at once or just install one at a time?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Interestingly enough, I've been picking up the MechWarrior games from the library book sales. About two years ago I picked up MW2 Titanium, allowing me to play GBL and Mercs, having only played 31stCC on my old mac back at the end of the '90s, last year I got MW3 and now I find MW4.

Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: Getting started with MW4

Postby Striker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Officially, it is not freeware, although a group called MekTek released MW4: Mercs with a mod that added new 'mechs many years ago as freeware (included the full campaign and everything).

You can still find it online somewhere, but I don't remember where.

And yeah, you can install everything at once if you like, although Mechwarrior 4 can be a bit of a hassle to get working if you are on a Windows 10 machine. Basically, the CD-protection software "safedisc" is incompatible with the operating system. While I am not one to advocate circumvention, it is the only way to make it work.

Return to “General Discussion”