MW2 textures

Binary formats and related hacking.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: MW2 textures

Post by Col.Kell »

(Edit: I don't think these are different camos - the seemingly different textures in the image above may be no more than a palette trick)
So thats the German version in that pix... hmmm.... :P

I can confirm that camo colors can be/or are defined by the xxxxPAL1 file.
But did you edit the camo using a MAPx file? Or was this a PAL1 edit?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I didn't edit anything. I know it's boring from a modder's point of view, but I just posted a screenshot of an unchanged MW2 installation :)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Oh, no, I don't find it boring, I find a whole lot of potential in it. I'd like new looks in new levels. :)
quota4stupid
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by quota4stupid »

Mech camo patterns are set via the "CAMO" tag in the "xxxxSCN1.BWD" files:

0 - 3 : "CAMO"
4 - 7 : Record size (always 16)
8 - 11 : Alliance ID (see "STAR" I think???? FIXME: Need to test this...)
12 - 15 : Camo pattern ID (see below)

The camo pattern IDs (taken straight from Dan Kegers Mercnet Mission Building FAQ):
0 - Plain steel panels
1 - Dark steel panels
2 - Medium steel panels
3 - Tiger stripe pattern
4 - Lined pattern
5 - Cow pattern
6 - Flat colored panels
7 - Pirate flat black panels

Based on the comments in DEM1MAP1.WLD I would guess that each of these camo values then maps to a range of BMID values (seriously, check that
sample MAP file out - the comments still leave a lot of question marks, but I think you'll find a lot of answers in there if you're interested in changing
texture assignments in the sim).
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I have looked into something similar to this in the 31cc and GBL SCN1 files, only instead of texture patterns, it involves insignia assignment and what desposition a gamepiece is (e.g., Enemy, Friendly, Neutral...)

You can take a look at a picture of a hex editor in work by me on this here.
quota4stupid

Post by quota4stupid »

As I read the Merc tools doco they're actually related (ie: the STAR/CAMO xxxxSCN1.BWD tags to set mech stars & their affiliations also sets their insignia texture, which (judging by DEM1MAP1.WLD) are then mapped to a set of BMID values to choose the actual XEL files). Maybe ;-)

It's a little out of date (I uploaded it about 2-3 weeks ago), but most of my current work decoding the BWD format can be seen here: http://users.tpg.com.au/nkjd245/mw2/bwd.txt It's a combination of hexdumps, playing with WASM, the Mercs tools doco/Dan Kegels FAQ and a touch of conjecture for good measure ;-)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Wow. I can tell you are full throttle on this! ;)
Good luck with your project!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Col.Kell wrote:Good luck with your project!
Thanks.

The alternative to recreating the MW2 textures would be creating new textures. This could drastically improve their looks, but it might take hours for every single mech, and every one of its variants (read: DOS and 3D enhanced versions differ, Titanium may have different geometry as well). Are the MW2 DOS textures worth it? Perhaps the Titanium Trilogy textures are at least a starting point.

In the end, I think it's best to see this through to the end, where MechVM is able to extract textures, then create new textures for selected mechs, and distribute texture packs :(. I could create a tutorial if anyone would be interested in helping out with creating new textures for MechVM.

Kell, I think the Mad Cat you posted might be a good example to take a closer look at how it works. How did you change the right "bomb box" to a vent, which file did you change?
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Kell, I think the Mad Cat you posted might be a good example to take a closer look at how it works. How did you change the right "bomb box" to a vent, which file did you change?
I believe I made this mod in the file "MW2_MAP2.BWD". If not, then it's the MAP1 file.

I was just curious of how textures were aplied, I looked up a XEL file that I knew what it was, and I changed it. In this case, the Timber Wolf missle pod box is "(?)(?)MISTWR", I don't recall what the first two letters are, but it won't be hard to find this name. Just before the XEL file name, you will see a little tag that goes with the file. I just changed the tag and got something different.

Does this help?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Yes, thank you, it's what I wanted to know.