Post by Col.Kell » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:40 am

You're good.... :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC

Skyfaller
Clan 2nd MechWarrior
Clan 2nd MechWarrior

Re: MW2 textures

Post by Skyfaller » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm

I don't have as much time for this as I would like, so I haven't been able to work some bugs out yet, but I can post a first few pics. Still working on this, so there may be better screenshots later.

In the cases where it doesn't work yet, I am loading the right textures, but they are applied to the wrong places.

Every different palette gives a completely different set of texture colorations, so there are very many possible skins for each mech.
Attachments
MW2-GBL-TT-Incubus-ICEB0FDA.png
Seems to work OK for the Incubus, note how a darker texture is placed correctly on the upper arm. Feet are weird though.
MW2-GBL-TT-Incubus-ICEB0FDA.png (96.91 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
MW2-GBL-TT-Annihilator.png
Not sure if it works correctly here, maybe the gun barrels should be darker
MW2-GBL-TT-Annihilator.png (94.27 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
MW2-GBL-TT-Kodiak-REDA0FDA.png
For the Kodiak, many texture pieces are misplaced
MW2-GBL-TT-Kodiak-REDA0FDA.png (56.68 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Download MechVM

If you have problems with MechVM, please attach the files MechVM.cfg and install-report.txt from the folder where MechVM installed your game.

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 am

Great job! Mechs look far better than the traditional plain white. Makes them look more fierce too.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC

Skyfaller
Clan 2nd MechWarrior
Clan 2nd MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 am

Some notes:
  • Palette entries must be multiplied by 4.
  • Texture coordinates are not negative, but may exceed the size of the texture. In that case, the texture must be placed several times.
Texture coordinates exceeding the size of the texture require that the texture is placed several times in the texture atlas.
Download MechVM

If you have problems with MechVM, please attach the files MechVM.cfg and install-report.txt from the folder where MechVM installed your game.

Skyfaller
Clan 2nd MechWarrior
Clan 2nd MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 pm

For efficiency reasons, I use a single texture for an entire mech. This reduces the number of GL calls to select textures, but it is not compatible with MW2 and MW3m which use individual textures for each polygon. As a workaround, I compile the small textures used by a mech into one large texture, called a texture atlas. This worked well for MW3, but MW2 uses texture coordinates that exceed the texture size to indicate that a single texture should be placed several times. I have been able to fix that placing textures several times in the atlas when needed. This fixes some rendering bugs, but there still appears to be a problem with the texture coordinates. I'll keep you updated.
Download MechVM