BWD file tags

Binary formats and related hacking.

Moderator: Skyfaller

quota4stupid
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: BWD file tags

Post by quota4stupid »

It's not terribly useful, but I think I've about figured out the DTBL chunk. As best I can tell so far, it seems to just give counts for certain information in the rest of the BWD (ie: the total number of OBJ & TSK chunks, the number of OBJ chunks in a REPR, etc) and is generated automatically by WASM. I'll post the format when I finish decoding it.

I can't remember which thread I read this in, but I remember Skyfaller at one stage asking which chunks could be discarded - I reckon this one tops the list ;-)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

On different planets, you get different speeds out of your mech. Did we ever find out where the movement speed multiplier is stored?

I'd like to know because I'd like to store the engine rating instead of the walking movement points in the .MEK files. This would legalize all engine ratings on mechs, provided they can hold the tonnage, instead of allowing only integer multiples of the mech's tonnage. The other use would be to allow underwater mechs whose engine rating need not be changed. Instead, we would use a smaller movement rate.

I think falling speed is set in the gravity of the PLNT chunk, but where is the movement multiplier?
quota4stupid

Post by quota4stupid »

Skyfaller wrote:On different planets, you get different speeds out of your mech. Did we ever find out where the movement speed multiplier is stored?

I'd like to know because I'd like to store the engine rating instead of the walking movement points in the .MEK files. This would legalize all engine ratings on mechs, provided they can hold the tonnage, instead of allowing only integer multiples of the mech's tonnage. The other use would be to allow underwater mechs whose engine rating need not be changed. Instead, we would use a smaller movement rate.

I think falling speed is set in the gravity of the PLNT chunk, but where is the movement multiplier?
I would have guessed that gravity would affect it (based on the idea that in a higher gravity environment, the mech engine have to do more work to move the mech and so achieve a lesser top speed). Other possibility is the "coefficient of friction" field in PLNT (although according to the docs that's just meant to determine the max steepness of an incline that you can climb). Haven't had a chance to test out either of these theories as yet.
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Hm. These files labels seem a little like the ones I'm getting. I extract them using MechVM using right-click->Export as XML and these are the results (in the download link). Are these normal? It seems like I'm exporting half a file. :?

Please note that this is just one that I picked at random then uploaded.
Attachments
SIOUPLT.XML
(258 Bytes) Downloaded 1067 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

yup, that is a normal BWD file. Mechvm converts the file into an XML format so it is easier to read
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:yup, that is a normal BWD file. Mechvm converts the file into an XML format so it is easier to read
Really? From what I was reading here, it seems that I'm thinking about one file and everyone here is thinking about another.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

OK looking at the Dummy.WTB like mentioned before it is a root node which serves as a joint to hinge all rotations off of. It appears on all major joints knees and hips, etc..
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I think the first set of values for the OBJ tag are mixed around on the list - The Collision type contains the values mentioned in the Parent Id (FFFF) The Parent Id is usually a previous ID (lower number) that a child object is tied to and from there all translations, rotations, etc are based off of that as an origin point.
So the Collision type list must be for another value unless of course there are slight differences in Mercs? :roll: